• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

George Hotz?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
I am really curious to see what you people have to say about this debacle. Clearly it's something that's been ongoing for a while but it really angers me that Sony would rather sue him into the ground rather than find a solution. I find it interesting that one hacker(along with others help I'm sure) took down one of the largest technology corporations in the world. That being said, he's the man who also brought us the ability to jailbreak our iphones and pushed for it to be legalized.

I just want to know what you guys think about it. Here's some related information if you're interested:

His site: legal trouble

AttackOfTheShow Interview: YouTube - Hacking and Jailbreaking with George Hotz

Cnet: Geohot starts blog, raises cash for legal fees | The Digital Home - CNET News

Just curious what some of you think!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I think that companies that can't innovate often litigate. In this case, they likely have very shaky ground to stand on. I'd be surprised if they didn't settle once it became clear that he wasn't going to back down.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd say it's pretty clear at this point that he's definitely not going to back down. On a level 1 to 100 of my ability as a hacker it's about a solid 1 lol but none-the-less I'm still glad there is someone that is going to stand up to people like Sony.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
Having actually followed this story closely (I recommend psx-scene for Playstation related news and discussion, they've followed the story well. Reliable news source.) I am completely disgusted with what Sony is doing. I agree that they should work towards a solution, instead chasing down hackers that exposed flaws in their systems. It's almost along the lines of jailbreaking iOS, and in fact it isn't too conceptually different... And that, as we all know, is legal. SCEE also had the house of another hacker raided by police, and they're asking for a huge sum of cash! They're asking for 750,000 euros...

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just because one man took down your multi-billion dollar industry [almost] on his own, Sony, doesn't mean you need to get all angry and upset and sue the man over it.

I guess if I were Sony I would be all on board to make this kid one of my employees and help to create an even more secure system! Tisk tisk...I feel they've already crossed a line and would never be able to do such a thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess if I were Sony I would be all on board to make this kid one of my employees and help to create an even more secure system! Tisk tisk...I feel they've already crossed a line and would never be able to do such a thing.

Yeah, there isn't a possibility in the world that Mr. Hotz would join up with Sony now, after this. And if I were a fellow PS3 hacker, I doubt I'd join teams with Sony either, so I won't be surprised if none of these other famous (or infamous, depending on your point of view) PS3 hackers don't join. :Smirk:

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it would just be awkward going into work lol. People knowing who you are lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it would just be awkward going into work lol. People knowing who you are lol

Exactly!

You'd get so many dirty looks! And may a few looks of amazement from interns and the likes. :Smirk:

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Makes you wonder why they just don't hire him? Then they would have a hacker that can out hack those other hackers?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They could fire their entire security team and hire one man lol. I mean he did take their security [almost] solely on his own lol I bet Sony would save a ton of money. Man I just see myself as being Sony and I would want my hands all over this guy!!!!!!!!!!!

I do wish George the best because I agree with him that when HE pays for HIS Playstation and he can hack HIS ps3 to do whatever HE wants.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.