• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

FaceTime app is officially released

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
The FaceTime app is now officially out of beta and available in the Mac App Store for 99¢. It will come free with all new MacBook Pros (and probably other machines)

FaceTime on the Mac App Store

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
+1 rep.
Thanks for the information.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks...

And also to note, only the new MBPs will be capable of sending HD video over FaceTime, older Macs will receive it, but only send VGA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
So, let's go back to when the first iPad came out and everybody was whining about how a front facing camera would be stupid and useless.. Shall we ?

I'm pretty sure that this is going to be huge for Mac users across the board. From iPhones and iPads to MacBooks and iMacs (even Mac Pro's with an external camera), people are going to be utilizing this feature more than they ever did with iChat.

Doug

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, let's go back to when the first iPad came out and everybody was whining about how a front facing camera would be stupid and useless.. Shall we ?

I don't really recall that at all being a widespread thought (I can't even recall anyone having that position actually).

From what I remember, most people were annoyed it didn't have a camera.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Agreed. Most people were either annoyed with no camera or didn't care either way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I don't really recall that at all being a widespread thought (I can't even recall anyone having that position actually).

Are you serious ? Heh. I'm gonna have to go back to some of the threads I know I took part in where people were like adamant about not having one because it was a "stupid idea". Of course there were those like me who said they wouldn't get one without a front facing camera as well. Give me some time, I'll find those threads for you.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

Im with Doug on this one. Why do we need a camera on iPad. Stupid idea if they do, where most peoples response. Granted this was all said before people knew of face time.
Go and dig them up Doug 'ole boy ;)

Reaction score
Im with Doug on this one. Why do we need a camera on iPad. Stupid idea if they do, where most peoples response. Granted this was all said before people knew of face time.
Go and dig them up Doug 'ole boy ;)
Doug and Tattoo are right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wait... I hope you guys don't think that I was one of those people saying that it was a dumb idea, because I argued FOR having an front facing iSight camera.

I think Tatoo'd got that, not sure about Geesix though.

Doug

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's what I remember:

- Many people complaining it had no camera at all
- Other people saying a camera doesn't really matter
- And some saying they wouldn't use a camera on an iPad

What I don't remember are people saying it would be stupid if a camera was ever added or that they would light themselves on fire if Apple ever added a camera because it would be the most ludicrous move ever (just paraphrasing)

If you can find those posts, I'd love to see them. I really think they "I can't believe it doesn't have a camera" people were far more belligerent than the "I don't care if it had a camera" people.

In reality, the iPad 2 isn't even announced yet, so just be happy when it gets here.

And yes, I'll go on record as saying that while I see a use for a front facing camera for FaceTime, I really don't see high value in a rear facing camera. It's not as if I'm going to be using an iPad for a camera.

But Doug, be sure when you bring this up at a later date, you remember that I'm not foaming at the mouth....although I do understand it is better drama value in a thread if it's spun that way. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's what I remember:

- Many people complaining it had no camera at all
- Other people saying a camera doesn't really matter
- And some saying they wouldn't use a camera on an iPad

What I don't remember are people saying it would be stupid if a camera was ever added or that they would light themselves on fire if Apple ever added a camera because it would be the most ludicrous move ever (just paraphrasing)

If you can find those posts, I'd love to see them. I really think they "I can't believe it doesn't have a camera" people were far more belligerent than the "I don't care if it had a camera" people.

In reality, the iPad 2 isn't even announced yet, so just be happy when it gets here.

And yes, I'll go on record as saying that while I see a use for a front facing camera for FaceTime, I really don't see high value in a rear facing camera. It's not as if I'm going to be using an iPad for a camera.

But Doug, be sure when you bring this up at a later date, you remember that I'm not foaming at the mouth....although I do understand it is better drama value in a thread if it's spun that way. ;)

Seems as though a person's post history is limited, I can't go back to threads I posted in past a certain date so I'm going to have to do an old fashioned search.

And hey.. don't you worry yer pretty little admin head about it. I'll bring tEh dramAz! My depiction of you shall resemble nothing less than the likes of Cujo or.. someone who at least just put a few Alka Seltzer tablets in his mouth...

doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
Not enough people have macs, and those who do don't use facetime. I don't know if its because its less convenient than a text message or phone call, or if people are just not used to video conferencing, but nobody I know is using it.

I've heard that video phones have been around for decades but they've never caught on. People just don't seem to want it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Not enough people have macs, and those who do don't use facetime. I don't know if its because its less convenient than a text message or phone call, or if people are just not used to video conferencing, but nobody I know is using it.

I've heard that video phones have been around for decades but they've never caught on. People just don't seem to want it.

The beta version has only been out a few months. Now the full-fledge app is available more people will use it.

And plenty of people have Macs. That's not an issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

True. Nokia has had this feature available forever, and it's widely used in Asia and parts of Europe. Problem though is, the screens were/are dated, bandwidth was never good enough for a good flow, and the interfaces were also junk. And of course, you could never use those things across so many different platforms like you can with FT.

Will it catch on ? Maybe, too early to tell just yet. But it really goes to show something that Apple is investing their time and money into it. They do tend to get people hopping on board things they hadn't thought of doing before.

Doug

Reaction score
OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I find most interesting in this article is the $2 802.11n patch back in 2007. Say what?

What I'm most curious about is if we have the beta version, will we still be able to use it or are we forced to pay a buck to upgrade?

Most betas have expiration dates. It will probably work until that point. I mean it is only 99¢ so it's not a huge deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
I am one of those in the camp of 'don't really care there is no camera on the iPad". I never used iChat, or the Facetime beta, and wont use it now that it is no longer beta either. As for the first gen iPad not having a camera, I doubt that I would use it if it did. My phone has an 8MP camera and I have used it twice, and used the front facing camera on it once. So, no camera on the iPad is no big deal. I can also count on my fingers the number of times I have used the camera on my iMac.

Facetime might catch on for some, but it is definitely something I have no use for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
I've only used the camera on my imac once. And it was try to get a friend to use facetime with me on her macbook pro. She did it once and thought it was neat, but I haven't been able to contact her since on it because who the heck knows when she'll be working on it? And she doesn't have an iphone so I can't catch her on that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm actually a fan of facetime. I think its super neat and I wish everyone I knew had an iphone and a mac. But they just don't. They mostly have grotesque 5 year old Dell laptops and Droids.

The 2 of my 10 friends who are Apple aren't around their computer (or wifi with iphone) enough to use facetime consistently, and as long as 10 of us can chat or call each other on a normal phone I doubt facetime will ever be more than a rare novelty in our circle.

And we're pretty normal, so I base my world view on us. So if it were theoretically possible to invest in facetime stock I would pass.

The only way I could see facetime taking off at all is if its a standalone app that was cross platform so that my Droid friends could use it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.