Using GarageBand to create ringtones

Reaction score
Apologies in advance if this has been addressed in another thread.

I have not used GarageBand in a very long time. I forgot how to take a song in my existing iTunes library, then cut/rearrange the section I want to use as a ringtone for my new Verizon iPhone4. :D

I remember that it was quite a simple process, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
iPhone Ringtone Format - How to Create Ringtones For the iPhone

according to this, as long as it is aac format you can just rename the extension to .m4r and then import to itunes. if you want to edit this first, fire up garageband and do an import audio (or the equivalent to that: i use pro tools) with the file you want to edit, do your chopping up and so on, export to WAV or whatever, then encode that with itunes to AAC, then go into finder, rename the extension of the file you just encoded to .m4r.

then reimport to itunes, and sync it with the iphone.

i have never done it, but this is how i would go about doing it.

OP
T
Reaction score
iPhone Ringtone Format - How to Create Ringtones For the iPhone

according to this, as long as it is aac format you can just rename the extension to .m4r and then import to itunes. if you want to edit this first, fire up garageband and do an import audio (or the equivalent to that: i use pro tools) with the file you want to edit, do your chopping up and so on, export to WAV or whatever, then encode that with itunes to AAC, then go into finder, rename the extension of the file you just encoded to .m4r.

then reimport to itunes, and sync it with the iphone.

i have never done it, but this is how i would go about doing it.

Thanks so much, will try it. I hope I remember how to chop/rearrange the clip the way I want it.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
let me know if it doesnt and ill think something up.

OP
T
Reaction score
let me know if it doesnt and ill think something up.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

Problem now is that I want to use music purchased through iTunes to cut/create my ringtones, but GarageBand will not allow me to import DRM-protected songs.

The only work-around I know of is to burn the songs to a CD, then import the tunes from the CD back into iTunes. Is there a more elegant solution to this problem?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you can rerecord them by using audio hijack pro or audacity, by playing the song and hijacking the application audio. but that app costs money. you could do it by using Audacity, with a system audio routing app called soundflower.

it would be a bit louder than from burning a cd, and you dont waste discs. but you have to record them in real time.

OP
T
Reaction score
you can rerecord them by using audio hijack pro or audacity, by playing the song and hijacking the application audio. but that app costs money. you could do it by using Audacity, with a system audio routing app called soundflower.

it would be a bit louder than from burning a cd, and you dont waste discs. but you have to record them in real time.

Ah, I've heard about Audacity. Will give it a try.

Thanks again for the prompt response!

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Apologies in advance if this has been addressed in another thread.

I have not used GarageBand in a very long time. I forgot how to take a song in my existing iTunes library, then cut/rearrange the section I want to use as a ringtone for my new Verizon iPhone4. :D

I remember that it was quite a simple process, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I found a swag of tutorials on YouTube for all sorts of for GarageBand processes. As usual on YouTube, some are not very helpful, but if you are prepared to search, there are some very helpful ones. For example, I was frustrated trying to find how to make a loop of my own, and found "making beats" was the clue. Very happy at what I found. You could experience the same breakthough!:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.