2000/01 ibook airport card not connecting

Reaction score
Hi,
I was recently given an older mac ibook (circa 2000-01) and have installed an airport card into it but have been unable to log on to the internet. When I try, I get an error message saying "There was an error joining the selected Airport Network". I have clicked around inside the OS to see what's what and if there was/is anything obvious I could do to turn the airport card/modem on or off but no luck thus far. The airport card is on, and the name of the network from my wireless router is in the menu, but I can't get onto it. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
your nub friend,
p0s1tr0n

OP
P
Reaction score
Hey, just a quick note to say I'm going to repost in a more appropriate thread. :)

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi,
I was given an older mac ibook (circa 2000-01) and have installed an airport card into it but have been unable to log on to the internet. When I try, I get an error message saying "There was an error joining the selected Airport Network". I have clicked around inside the OS to see what's what and if there was/is anything obvious I could do to turn the airport card/modem on or off but no luck thus far. The airport card is on, and the name of the network from my wireless router is in the menu, but I can't get onto it. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
your nub friend,
p0s1tr0n

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do not cross post. If you placed a post in the wrong forum, ask a moderator to move it for you. I merged your posts together in the correct forum.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks, glad to know you (and yours) are able to be of such help. I just looked in on the old post to move it from one place to another, and it was gone with no note. Well, be that as it may, I appreciate the guidance Sir(Madam?) and will be looking eagerly forward to knowing how best to rearrange the settings within the macintosh itself so that I may solve my query.

OP
P
Reaction score
By the by, I have also connected it to an ethernet port with no luck. Thanks in advance for any help you may offer. We appreciate it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What OS are you using and what is the speed of your router? A ten/eleven year old computer is probably be using 802.11b, particularly if using OS X.2 Jaguar and a modern modem/router may not recognise it. Take it we are talking about a G3 computer here? Hve read they are unable to connect to a WPA security system.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Yes, it's a G3 and the OS is X.2. I do have the original install discs too btb :), and as for WPA protocol (or WEP protocol for that matter) we have two networks, one secured and one unsecured. I think my problem stems more from getting the address/server info entered into the mac. I'm going to call AT&T today to see what's what. We were using Charter Communications before and though the service rep was very nice, they didn't have information on macs. By the by, I am not certain why a router wouldn't hand shake with an older frequency but it's a good thought nevertheless.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.