• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

MacBook Pro Specs (13in.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
MacRumors has posted that specs have been leaked for the low end 13" MBP. Light Peak (called Thunderbolt by Apple) seems to be used. There are links within the article to the leaked specs and photos.

Check it out here.

edit: I know I spelled specs wrong in the title, I apologize for that... :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Thunderbolt why call it that? Lightpeak is a good name I thought. But I'm sure Apple will tell us why they called it thunderbolt.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You spelled specs wrong..? No you didn't. :p Fixed it for you.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Every time, I hear Thunderbolt, I instantly think of the HTC Thunderbolt. It's the perfect name though, just bad timing, since the phone is just coming out also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
When I hear thunderbolt I instantly think of thunderbird.

OP
Moss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You spelled specs wrong..? No you didn't. Fixed it for you.
I have absolutely no clue what you are talking about! ;D Thank you for that, though.

Every time, I hear Thunderbolt, I instantly think of the HTC Thunderbolt. It's the perfect name though, just bad timing, since the phone is just coming out also.
That's exactly what came to mind! Both are supposedly extremely fast though, so I suppose the name is suitable for both.

When I hear thunderbolt I instantly think of thunderbird.
This is a school my father went to, in Arizona. Thunderbird International School of Business. Fine business graduate school!

I'm excited for tomorrow, if Apple does in fact make the announcement... I'm not too excited about this 13" model, as I was thinking about getting a 15"!

Reaction score
Lesions seendit

I am not going to lie, I had not idea what "light peek" was when i read the OP.
After a quick wiki/google search I am thoroughly impressed. I must be living on a rock, because I had no idea Intel was developing this technology.

OP
Moss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know. I'm curious to see what sort of peripherals really take advantage of this port... We'll see soon enough!

Any ideas anyone?

Reaction score
Yeah, I see that it can be a Firewire port, so it will be interesting to see if any of the major manufacturers (Sony, JVC etc) jump on board, and if so, how long that takes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Hey people! Apple isn't the only manufacturer to use the MiniDisplay Port! Makes perfect sense to introduce it into something that is already out. But, unless they develop some for of adapter, it might be a little tricky using multiple devices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I know. I'm curious to see what sort of peripherals really take advantage of this port... We'll see soon enough!

Any ideas anyone?

If they have the port on fiber optic then why not connect computers together and share computing power over that port.

My 2 cents.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
I'm not overly impressed to bo honest. I mean, now it's a i5 processor and they are using lightpeak. Other than that, it is very similar to the old one. I was kind of hoping for more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13.3" Mid 2010 | 2.4GHz C2D | 4096MB 1067 MHz DDR3 | nVidia GeForce 320m
I was going to sell my current MacBook Pro to get a new one, but if these specs are correct I may just put the money towards getting another GTX 260+ or maybe even a HD 5870 for my main gaming desktop.

I'm surprised to see that Apple is going to be downgrading the GPU from the 320M to the Intel HD 3000. That's too bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I'm not overly impressed to bo honest. I mean, now it's a i5 processor and they are using lightpeak. Other than that, it is very similar to the old one. I was kind of hoping for more.
You forgot the part about better graphics, which also allows the battery to last a couple of hours longer. The problem is that all the media overhyped the launch of the "new" super macbook pros that had absolutely everything inside. This upgrade, is nothing short of pretty darn good specs for a 13'!!

I was going to sell my current MacBook Pro to get a new one, but if these specs are correct I may just put the money towards getting another GTX 260+ or maybe even a HD 5870 for my main gaming desktop.

I'm surprised to see that Apple is going to be downgrading the GPU from the 320M to the Intel HD 3000. That's too bad.
umm... going from the 320m to 3000 is actually a big upgrade, in terms of standard graphics processors, when you actually look at the specs and comparisons that are already out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13.3" Mid 2010 | 2.4GHz C2D | 4096MB 1067 MHz DDR3 | nVidia GeForce 320m
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I'm excited for tomorrow, if Apple does in fact make the announcement... I'm not too excited about this 13" model, as I was thinking about getting a 15"!

Why? What's happening tomorrow? Are you referring to Intel's San Francisco Press Event? Nothing has been confirmed that an Apple product will be announced. Only that they will "discuss a new technology that is about to appear on the market".
Sure, updated MBPs with Light Peak are likely to be announced "soon". And tomorrow is Jobs' 56th B-day. But nothing has been announced yet that it will be tomorrow or Friday or Saturday...

Just because it could happen doesn't mean it will.

Reaction score
Why? What's happening tomorrow? Are you referring to Intel's San Francisco Press Event? Nothing has been confirmed that an Apple product will be announced. Only that they will "discuss a new technology that is about to appear on the market".
Sure, updated MBPs with Light Peak are likely to be announced "soon". And tomorrow is Jobs' 56th B-day. But nothing has been announced yet that it will be tomorrow or Friday or Saturday...

Just because it could happen doesn't mean it will.

which is why he said "if in fact the announcement is made"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
The 320m (ranked 129 overall) beats the 3000 (ranked 154 overall) in newer benchmarks, so I'd say that going from the GeForce 320m to the HD 3000 is a downgrade.

Mobile Graphics Cards - Benchmark List - Notebookcheck.net Tech

Instead of just looking at those numbers, go read actual comparisons of the two. The first problem with that test is that its testing the GPU alone, on a windows based platform. The second is that there are newer results out. That same ranking has been out since before the actual testing was available...so, I don't see how it's that dependable. That is also NOT a test comparison of the 3000 on a macbook pro with OSX, in which case has been seen to have major improvements in overall performance(in i5 vs c2d). Whereas the 320m ran on the macbook pro with a consistent speed, the 3000 can range in speeds surpassing the 320m, while also coming to an almost idle. The top core speed of the 3000 passes the 320m by about 700MHz(depending on processor speeds, and room for heat dissipation), but like all other cards, one will do something better than the other, and for my preference, I am not a fan of integrated graphics, but the 3000 is a major step up in its own term. There's a whole topic on the 320 vs 3000 on notebook review, which pretty much states the same thing. The overall package of the new 13" will perform much better all the way around than the previous setup with the 320m(with their better processor, better ram speed. There has yet to be an actual MBP 3000 comparison, obviously, but when it does come out, I doubt buyer will complain. So, I guess you'll have to wait and see results of the actual product...if everything is as they are rumored.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
intel has let me down graphics wise for over a decade. why should i think even for a moment what they have now is better? You know what, its not. people who believe any hype are setting themselves up for fail. intel graphics always has and always will suck it.

The only thing is we have no choice. plain and simple. so no use fighting it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.