• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The desktop OS with its 25-year-old paper-based metaphors is due for a reinvention

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
The desktop OS with its 25-year-old paper-based metaphors (folders, trash cans) is past due for a reinvention.

Do you agree with this statement? And if so what'd you base the new version of Apple OS on?

Reaction score
Folders should be renamed to…hmm…

Trash can? nah..we call that the…hmm…

Good points! I can't think of anything. (A lack of sleep might be the problem, buuut…)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
nobody these days really knows what "save" icon represents...:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I don't think it's necessary to change them. There's nothing wrong with them the way they are. They might be old, but changing them to something, just because they are getting old isn't right. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I would split the Trash icon in two.

1) A trash compactor to compress and temporarily archive files you might need again. Have it auto empty on a user set basis (say weekly).
2) Laser Blaster to zap files you want to be gone immediately. Hopefully accompanied by flames and lots of smoke! :) (Be a good way to let off frustration)

EDIT: As far as folders, I would dispense with them altogether. Tag every file loaded on the system with type, date etc (as well as user assignable). Then have a series of tabs or drop select menu in finder to display files that meet the filter setting.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
I renamed my trash can to "The **** Bucket" :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I almost think that this is what Apple is trying to do with iOS. If there is some sort of iOS GUI implementation in 10.7, which I think Apple has confirmed, then I would view it as the first steps to take the desktop GUI in a new direction.

That being said, I disagree with the idea that it "needs" to be changed, change for the sake of change is silly.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
We are just renaming everything here. A trash can now called a lazer file zapper is still just a trash can with a fancy name. Maybe the whole lot needs re-invention. No more folders, no more trash. A totally new system.

But there is one downside to this. Old it may be but people who just learnt the system are not going to be happy to learn a new system.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
We are just renaming everything here. A trash can now called a lazer file zapper is still just a trash can with a fancy name. Maybe the whole lot needs re-invention. No more folders, no more trash. A totally new system.

But there is one downside to this. Old it may be but people who just learnt the system are not going to be happy to learn a new system.

I think what you're saying is that in this day and age, the "desktop" metaphor is no longer necessary or modern. I think in some ways that's true, in others it's an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of proposition. We still use mice and keyboards, and although it we have touch on our phones and tablets, touch is not such a great thing on a laptop/desktop, where fingerprints can mar your screen.

Until display technology reaches the point of "Minority Report", I think the desktop metaphor is still most efficient.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Perhaps it is about time to move forward. I've never been happy with the desktop analogy (my wastebin (we don't use 'trash' in UK) sits on the floor and holds my rubbish that I can retrieve until it's emptied; my shredder deals with documents I want to annihilate right away; my folders are kept in a filing cabinet; my photos are in albums but they sit on a shelf; ...).

'Workspace' sounds a promising replacement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Until display technology reaches the point of "Minority Report", I think the desktop metaphor is still most efficient.

Agreed. It's fine the way it is. ...for now.

Workspace' sounds a promising replacement.

Ahh, but not everyone uses their computers for work. Desktop makes the most sense (to me). ;D

I foresee a gradual move away from this conventional way of organization/storage. Maybe one day we won't use any of these terms anymore. Or maybe we will only use 1 or 2 of them. But I'm guessing it won't be some big "We have a new naming system" type of announcement. It'll just "happen"...slowly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
dont fix what aint broken...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I would like to see Trash have the option on the dock to empty securely or normal.

Reaction score
"Trash" and "folders" not geeky enough?

Would you prefer "recycle bin" and "directories"?

Reaction score

1) A trash compactor to compress and temporarily archive files you might need again. Have it auto empty on a user set basis (say weekly).
2) Laser Blaster to zap files you want to be gone immediately. Hopefully accompanied by flames and lots of smoke! :) (Be a good way to let off frustration)

EDIT: As far as folders, I would dispense with them altogether. Tag every file loaded on the system with type, date etc (as well as user assignable). Then have a series of tabs or drop select menu in finder to display files that meet the filter setting.

1 - not great for SSDs doing a lot of re-writing
2 - i like the name!

EDIT - you mean... smart folders?

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

1. Already exists. We call it time machine.
2. Already exists (without the flames and smoke) and we call it "Secure Empty Trash".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
I couldn't imagine what would replace Folders. Leave it up to Apple to think of something crazier though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
In would like to see iOS move away totally from having to manage a file system. The apps should take care of all file management activities. We should not be bothered where the files are stored, as long as the application organises them and they can easily be found from the application..... No more finder stuff ... Spotlight YES.
Next step is to move away from the concept of ' documents '... And concentrate on 'content'... Accessible by all browsers.
You have people who create content and people who view content to make decisions... 2 different animals requiring 2 different set of apps and iOS behavior. iOS devices are great for viewing content, less so for creating content.
At the moment , the implementation of 'the cloud' is still in it's infancy, but I would keep focus on that , sort out the legal implications and laws..... The cloud is the place where iOS devices can be beneficial for companies.

My 2 cents.

Cheers ... McBie

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
1. Already exists. We call it time machine.
2. Already exists (without the flames and smoke) and we call it "Secure Empty Trash".

1) not quite - Time machine backups continue to occupy space until the target drive is full
2) the flames and smoke are essential to the user experience :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.