What should I download?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz i5 MBP, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, NVIDIA Geforce GT 330m/16GB iPhone 4 in a brick sized otterbox.
Hey everyone! Just got my MBP and being my first mac I'm just going through the motions of figuring out how everything works. I'm fairly tech savvy, but having been a Windows user for 20 years, blah blah I'm sure you've all heard this before :p I'm not having any problems per se, I'm just wondering about any "must have" apps (games, utilities, anything at all!) that you more experienced users would recommend. OSX itself is great, it's as easy and intuitive as other mac users have always led me to believe it is. I will mostly be using this thing for schoolwork (already have MS office for mac. Thinking about nabbing iWork just to compare), to upload reports to an online medical database for work (EMS), photo editing (don't have photoshop YET, but I'm working on it), and some light gaming, although my main gaming machine will still be a Windows based desktop PC that I'm in the process of building. I had to keep a Windows machine around because a) I don't care for the idea of running two OS on one machine and b) the new Star Wars MMO isn't getting an initial mac release :p I really like the mac app store, being a long time iPhone user. Anyway, I know I'm a rambler but this seems like a great community and I'm looking forward to being a part of it! Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
If you want to play .wmv media files I discovered the version of QT that comes with OSX doesn't play these files, you'll need to download the free MAC version from MS. I also needed Adobe Reader.

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Welcome to the boards and I hope you enjoy your new Mac. It's always exciting when you first switch!

So some things you can try out right away...

Adium - Chat client, works with MSN, Yahoo, AIM, FaceBook Chat, GTalk and just about everything else. Install Growl while you're at it. There is nothing quite like this on Windows, so I like to make this suggestion for that reason

Steam - If you liked games on the PC, you already had Steam (you did, right?). Well Steam works on Mac too, and if you had any games by Valve on Steam (as a PC gamer, you DID use Steam, right?) you'll be able to install and play them on your Mac without paying extra. HL2, Left 4 Dead, Civ IV or Civ V, Portal etc, all work great on the latest MBP. You did use Steam didn't you?

- MS Office. You already have this, iWork will seem like a baby app by comparison. It's honestly not worth it, but you can download a trial version

- iBank. If you used Quicken or MS Money, this is the best the Mac has to offer. It's not quite a feature rich as Quicken PC, but it's a lot better than Quicken for Mac

- Trine (game available on the Mac App Store). Really nice, shows off your GPU

- VLC. Best overall video player out there, will pick up those codecs that QT misses out.

- Flip4Mac. If you need WMV 9 or below compatibility, you'll need this plugin. It was absolutely priceless 4 years ago, but I can't remember the last time I needed it. Just goes to show how irrelevant MS codecs have become on the web

- Skype. Mac version is super sweet

- Firefox 4 beta 11. If like most sensible people you don't trust Chrome not to spy on you, and you want an alternative to Safari, this is a significant step up from Firefox 3. Give it a try

- Before you splash out on a photo editor, try iPhoto a try or even a trial of Aperture. I am convinced that 95% of people who use Photoshop a) don't pay for it and b) only use 2% of its features. Do yourself a favor, don't be one of those people. iPhoto does a lot more than most people realize in terms of basic editing, and Aperture even more. If you like Adobe, get Lightroom instead - unless you earn money with your Photography, you don't need the cost of Photoshop, and downloading it by other means just to 'have it' is shameful.

Cheers...

OP
thekilierdonut
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz i5 MBP, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, NVIDIA Geforce GT 330m/16GB iPhone 4 in a brick sized otterbox.
Tom - Thanks for the adobe reader hint. Also, MST3K is my fav show EVER. Robot Roll Call!

Zoolook - Wow! Thanks for all of that. Yeah, I used Steam on Windows and it was one of the first things I downloaded on my Mac...I just forgot to mention it, haha. Already been using it to replay through Half Life 2 :) Will def be picking up VLC and Trine. Are both of them in the app store or do I need to search the net for them? I am currently using firefox 3 as my browser, so I'll def check the beta out. Has anyone downloaded Star Wars: KoTOR? I loved it on x-box back in the day, just wondering how well it transitioned from console to computer. Also thanks for the advice on iPhoto. I've been using it to import all of the pictures from my camera/iPhone but haven't got into using it to edit yet. If I bought Photoshop, I would pay for it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You shouldn't need Adobe reader, as the entire OS X GUI is based upon the same technology as Acrobat, only more advanced. Anyway, the upshot is that any PDF document can be read natively by the OS. The only time you MAY need it, is if you want to read it embedded in Firefox from the web, as opposed to open it in Preview.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
Take it back while you can(you have 14 days) the NEW MBP's are out this Thursday, (now a badly kept secret), you will get a much better MBP for the same price approx.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Take it back while you can(you have 14 days) the NEW MBP's are out this Thursday, (now a badly kept secret), you will get a much better MBP for the same price approx.

This is not confirmed, it's a rumor. Until Apple announces it, no one knows for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is not confirmed, it's a rumor. Until Apple announces it, no one knows for sure.

Would you like to bet on that, even the apple site says no more stock for 3-5 across the whole range

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would you like to bet on that, even the apple site says no more stock

You can bet on what you want, but there's no release date until Apple announces it. That's the way it always is. Its bad advice to tell people something is certain when nothing has been announced.

Many people have claimed dates for releases for many things Apple over the years. Most of the time they're not always right.

So I'm not saying there won't be new MBPs. I'm saying no one, including you, knows for sure when that will be until Apple actually announces it.

There is a rumor new MBPs are being announced soon, but it's not confirmed. That is what someone should base their choice on. Those are the facts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

It's certainly not confirmed (it never is), but it's a lot more than a rumor. Here's the evidence:

- Sandy Bridge was released (and then fixed) very recently
- MBPs are now showing delivery times of 3 - 5 days across the board (usually it's 24 hours)
- Apple has shipped sealed pallets to its dealers (it's probably not the iPad 2, or iPhone 5...)
- Best Buy were issues new SKUs for Macs across the board

I bought my MBP 3 weeks ago, and I'd never take it back on a rumor, but I am pretty sure this week will see the release of the new machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's certainly not confirmed (it never is), but it's a lot more than a rumor. Here's the evidence:

- MBPs are now showing delivery times of 3 - 5 days across the board (usually it's 24 hours)
- Apple has shipped sealed pallets to its dealers (it's probably not the iPad 2, or iPhone 5...)

I bought my MBP 3 weeks ago, and I'd never take it back on a rumor, but I am pretty sure this week will see the release of the new machines.

Where did I say they wouldn't announce it? Where did i say now MBPs weren't coming?

I simply said no one can promise a date until Apple announces it. And by definition it is a rumor until Apple confirms it. ;)

You seem to be equating my saying it's a rumor with it being untrue. That's not the case. Rumors can be true or untrue, but until confirmed, they're just rumors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Exactly theres loads of evidence pointing to an imminent release, im just trying to save the OP from kicking himself, and pointing out the fact he has 2 weeks to take it back.

So simple solution is to see what happens this week

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Where did I say they wouldn't announce it? Where did i say now MBPs weren't coming?

You didn't and I didn't say you did either - don't put words into my mouth. I could very well ask you where anyone said it was certain or they knew for sure, and that didn't stop you from suggesting that in one of your posts above.

I simply said no one can promise a date until Apple announces it. And by definition it is a rumor until Apple confirms it. ;)

No one promised a date.

You seem to be equating my saying it's a rumor with it being untrue. That's not the case. Rumors can be true or untrue, but until confirmed, they're just rumors.

No, you're projecting that. All I said was it was more than a rumor - a rumor has no basis in fact, whereas with the evidence out there, one could make a reasonably informed guess.

Having said all that, and while you're trying to place me on an un-winnable side of an argument that I never even made, it IS only speculation and I would certainly not return an expensive machine on that basis (which I said originally).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Zoolook, go read what I said and then reread what you wrote. You may not have intended yon come off like you did, but you did.

And yes, bazander basically promised a date and went as far to tell someone to return their machine. I was simply trying to point out that nothing was confirmed and that the poster should base their decision on that fact.

I think there's a serious problem of reading comprehension in this thread based on sone of the responses.

Now let's get back on topic for the thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Zoolook, go read what I said and then reread what you wrote. You may not have intended yon come off like you did, but you did.

OK, I re-read it. I didn't say what you accused me of, it's there in black and white (or at least black and off-grey).

And yes, bazander basically promised a date and went as far to tell someone to return their machine. I was simply trying to point out that nothing was confirmed and that the poster should base their decision on that fact.

I'm not supporting what he said at all.

I think there's a serious problem of reading comprehension in this thread based on sone of the responses.

Now let's get back on topic for the thread.

Like I did in post 3?

Look, you're a mod, so I won't push it - but I have no idea why you've picked this argument with me or why you're now getting antsy about being disagreed with. Seems out of character for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Zoolook, you're seriously misreading my posts and putting in meaning that's not there. You also are assuming all my replies are to you, when most are to bazander.

Definitely not looking to pick a fight with you, but it's hard to not reply when I think you're completely misunderstanding what I'm saying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Zoolook, you're seriously misreading my posts and putting in meaning that's not there. You also are assuming all my replies are to you, when most are to bazander.

Sorry, I got confused when you quoted me and replied... and yes, that was probably unnecessarily sarcastic. YOU are the one inferring meaning that isn't there, you did it with your very first reply. You quoted me and said

"Where did I say they wouldn't announce it? Where did i say now MBPs weren't coming?"

Now where did I say they would announce it and they were coming, and accuse you of saying the opposite. I didn't... and now you have the audacity to ask me to go back and read what was written, and that I am misunderstanding you? This is very strange.

Look, I mean no disrespect at all. As a mod, when you respond to someone, it's kind of 'official' and often people will only read your post and make an inference about what someone else has said. I am not misunderstanding you at all, I just disagree with your version of how this conversation has gone. It's pretty irrefutable.

For the record, I agree it's only a rumor even if fueled by anecdotal evidence and I also agree that taking back your machine based on this alone wouldn't be wise. I have never at any point in this thread said otherwise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
I'll give you a list of what all I've bought from the Mac app store so far(well most of them are, some are from the net):

Adium(aim chat client)
Angry Birds
AppCleaner
Caffeine
Chopper 2
Cinch(aka aero snap from windows)
CleanMyMac
CrimsonWorld
Dropbox
Evernote
Flight Control HD
Gravilux
HandBrake
InsomniaX
iRingtones
Pages/Numbers/Keynote
Ninjump Deluxe
Plants vs. Zombies
Pinball HD
VLC Player
Wallet
Watts
WhiteNoise
UnRarX

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Stuffit Expander, MPEG Streamclip, Handbrake, GIMP, Skype, Toast, VLC, Spotify, Virtualbox.

GIMP is pretty much open source photoshop.

OP
thekilierdonut
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haha, yeah the rumor of the new MBP has been kicking around for awhile, and I was on the fence about whether or not I should buy now. Fact of the matter is, I needed a computer NOW to write papers for school, so I went ahead and bought it. Also, didn't get it from an apple store or the apple website, I got it from the PX on Fort Jackson, they are an authorized reseller (I'm in the army reserve.) Saved me a lot of money on taxes :) The i5 will do just fine for my purposes. Like I said before, I'm in the process of building a powerhouse of a desktop, so having last years laptop won't bug me too much. It's still a very nice computer and I love it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.