• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Is this illegal? Would you do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I swear I don't go looking for these things (based on my recent rant about bad parenting)...
This is at a Chili's in Phoenix, AZ. So, although today is Sunday, there are no "blue laws" in AZ. Meaning that you can order/purchase alcohol on a Sunday unlike a few other states in the U.S. that still have blue laws.

So, is it legal for someone underage (especially a 6 or 7 yr old) to sit at the bar? Maybe it is in some states and not others. There were other tables in the bar area 10 feet away and there were LOTS of tables in the general dining area too (I was sitting at one).

And would you do this with your child? I find it a little disturbing, irresponsible, and just "weird" and "creepy". Sorry, that's just how it made me feel. I know it's just a restaurant and not some "seedy" biker bar. But something about the whole situation just felt plain wrong.

IMG_0237.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'm sure it's legal, can't see why it wouldn't be.

Not, is it ethical? I don't think so. I also think it should call into question the character of the parent that thinks that's ok to do.

OP
MYmacROX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, you're right. Silly of me to actually look up the legality of it after I posted this. Sorry. It is technically legal in the state of Arizona.

I guess the more important point is how appropriate is it? I can't understand why a person would do that since there were other seating options.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I mean AZ is the state that almost elected Sharon Angle and is about two-thirds of the way to making it illegal to be anything other than white so who knows what is really legal there. :)

Maybe it's not legal? Lol

OP
MYmacROX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I mean AZ is the state that almost elected Sharon Angle and is about two-thirds of the way to making it illegal to be anything other than white so who knows what is really legal there.

Easy, killer. Don't open that can of worms. :Angry:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, you're right. Silly of me to actually look up the legality of it after I posted this. Sorry. It is technically legal in the state of Arizona.

I guess the more important point is how appropriate is it? I can't understand why a person would do that since there were other seating options.

Did the person work there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I was going to say with the economy the way it is the childs mother could work there and
at least she is keeping an eye on her not that a bar is an ideal situation but I can tolerate
that better than letting them stay home alone till the parent gets off work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Well I mean AZ is the state that almost elected Sharon Angle and is about two-thirds of the way to making it illegal to be anything other than white so who knows what is really legal there. :)

Maybe it's not legal? Lol

Oh brother...

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I'm sure it's legal, can't see why it wouldn't be.

Not, is it ethical? I don't think so. I also think it should call into question the character of the parent that thinks that's ok to do.

schweb knows a lot about the legality this, his mom brought him along to many nights at the bar as a child, where she dance... I mean worked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
It's illegal in most states but I'm not sure about Az....

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Definitely illegal here.... used to work as a bar back at a ChiChi's back in my college days, and remember having to have a heated chat with more than a few parents about this. Particularly when the restaurant was on a long wait and people were looking for a place to pacify their kids (why they thought the bar was the right place, I'll never know).

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
its not illegal in the UK, i used to do this as a kid all the time.

OP
MYmacROX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Not in AZ. I researched online. But the law does state minors must be accompanied by parent or legal guardian.

Did the person work there?

I didn't ask the older guy sitting next to her.

I was going to say with the economy the way it is the childs mother could work there and
at least she is keeping an eye on her not that a bar is an ideal situation but I can tolerate
that better than letting them stay home alone till the parent gets off work.

Well, obviously leaving a child that age at home would be worse. I just don't think I'd have them sitting at the bar. If you look at the pic, there's a nearby booth in the background within sight of the bartender. But anyways, she was sitting with the older guy at the bar.

I was just surprised by this because I come from the Midwest (born and raised for 22+ yrs) and some things still seem inappropriate/unacceptable to me that others may feel is "ok". I remember as a teenager in Indiana I couldn't even sit anywhere in the bar area at a bowling alley that we went to for lunch when I worked construction. The guys were mad at me cause I was the only one under 21 and we had to sit at the tables outside the bar doors which was the law in that state at that time. No one in our group was even drinking. It was just the only good place for a burger in that tiny town we were building some houses in.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Obviously a bar is no place for a child. For one thing they are taking up a seat that belongs to a potential customer.

Judging from that photo it didn't look particular busy. >_>"

Looks like they didn't want to spend the money for a babysitter?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27"iMac OS X 10.7.5 Core i5
I have no opinions one way or the other...however, maybe the kid asked to sit at the counter because she thought it would be fun. My bro-in-law owns a restaurant that has counter seating and kids are always pestering their parents to sit there. If the counter was crowded I wouldn't let her sit there but the place looks pretty empty.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I'm more concerned, if she is in the smoking section.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27"iMac OS X 10.7.5 Core i5
Unfortunately smoke hasn't learned how to stay in it's section. It looks like it's pretty empty...at least where she is.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Unfortunately smoke hasn't learned how to stay in it's section. It looks like it's pretty empty...at least where she is.

There is no such thing as a smoking section.

Reaction score
I remember going to work with my mom when i was 7, the first thing i thought of was, she's a child of an employee. She could be waiting for dad/mom to get off work, maybe her parents went out to eat and know the employees.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
It's not illegal. Just because you sit at a bar does not mean you will get drinks with alcohol. And the child taking up the seat of a potential customer is not really that accurate either, because they do have drinks other than alcohol, and plus, she got to that seat first, it would be illegal to kick her out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.