A Couple Of Things I Need Help With

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" OS X 10.6.4 / 3.2 GHz / Intel Core i3 / 4 GB 13333 MHz DDR3
Hello my freinds. I'm a newbie here. Looks like some very smart individuals on here, so I picked this forum for advice. I have a couple or more quick questions I'll post in this thread.

1. I screwed my Stickies up. I have the icon with 3 stickies, but I cant do anything with them...no new ones, can't resize or edit text,..ect. How can I re-set them?

2. I downloaded Google Earth, and have used it, but during the download, it asked me to drag Google Earth to my hard drive How can I do that? Every time I go to use it, the 2 icons keep coming up that say...Drag Google Earth to hard drive / double click the plug in to install it.....I don't want the Google Chrome that is offered on the same box.

Thanks everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Number One
First, copy this file
HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/StickiesDatabase
to an external drive or storage device to preserve the content of any saved Stickies. (I think!)

Then move this file
HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Stickies.plist
to your Desktop.

Now open Stickies. If it works, but you don't have your saved Stickies, close it, and copy the first file back to that location. Try again.

Hope this helps.

Number Two
I don't know. But, it sounds like you're running it from the downloaded disk image, and you haven't installed it. You should drag the one you want to the Applications folder. (HD/Applications)

HD=root level: the icon in the upper right corner.

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1. I didn't save the first file you posted because I don't have anything in Stickies I needed to save.
I highlighted the second file and dragged it to my desk top, but it won't open for some reason. Arrrg. I need stickies to keep my notes.

2. Google Earth seems to be working now, but how do I keep the icon in the bottom at all times so I don't have to go into apps to get it?

PS: I've only had my mac for 3 days now, so I'm basically starting from scratch. That will explain my inability to do simple things here. I think I'll take off with it onceI get a start. Thanks for being patient.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Drag the Google Earth icon from your applications folder to your dock, then right click on the icon and choose 'Keep in Dock

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have nothing on my right click on the mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
You have to enable right clicking in System Preferences, which is found under the Apple menu at the top left of your menu bar, or it might still be in your Dock at the bottom of your screen and to the right. In System Preferences go to Hardware>Mouse and choose "Secondary Button" from the drop down menu that corresponds with the right button. You can also enable the trackpad to "double click" by enabling Two Fingers>Secondary Tap.

To add an application, folder or anything else to your Dock, just drag its icon from the Finder to whatever position you want it to be in. Or as mentioned you can open the application, right click on its icon in the Dock and choose "Keep In Dock".

If you're new to Mac, I would recommend exploring System Preferences so you can customize things exactly the way you want them to be. For instance, you don't have to have the Dock showing all the time. You can turn hiding on so that it only appears when you move the mouse pointer near the bottom of your screen. Things like that.

Another good place to start customizing things is in the Preferences of almost every application menu. With an application open, click on the application name in the menu bar at the top and there should be a Preferences option that will control how the application behaves. And of course, don't forget to actually quit the application when you're done, as opposed to merely closing the window.

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, it worked! Thanks so much, you have helped me a lot. Now if I could just get my stickies working again. Any advice on that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now if I could just get my stickies working again. Any advice on that?
Is Stickies in your HD/Applications folder?

Drag the Google Earth icon from your applications folder to your dock, then right click on the icon and choose 'Keep in Dock
That combines two methods. First one: stop after Drag... to your dock.

Second one, this:

you can open the application, right click on its icon in the Dock and choose "Keep In Dock".

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found my stickies database here in my users / library, but I tried opening it and it doesn't open.
screenshot20110220at102.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
I found my stickies database here in my users / library, but I tried opening it and it doesn't open.
screenshot20110220at102.png

Try right clicking on it and select Open with Other, and then open it with TextEdit.

Good luck!

- Kyle

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

Your not trying to open the StickiesDataBase.

You want to follow these instructions
HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Stickies.plist
to your desktop. Now leave it there and dont touch it. Go and now click on the Stickies icon in the Dock/Applications folder and open it. You should see it open now in the dock with a indicator under it letting you know its open. If it does open then the .plist you put on your desktop you can trash it as Stickies generated a new one once it launched

It wont automatically open the Sticky either. Now go to the TOP menubar and it should say Stickies ?? If it does cmd>N (keyboard Shortcut) and a new Sticky will appear . . .

HTH

PS you seem very NoOB so if you have a read this post of mine, it should help you with the Mac 101 things and more :)

Hi and welcome to M-F Kobe

Have a look at these for starters .....
Mac Switching 101

Mac 101

MacTricksAndTips ~ 100 Essential Mac Apps

Mac OS Menu Bar Items

So there is a bit of reading there. As i goes for Apps we dont know what you are into, but ill list a few that most people have and you can look them up in the 100 Essential Apps URL i gave ...

Adium ~ Chat Client
Growl Notifications
SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner ~ Both make bootable copies of your HD
HandBrake ~ Video Converting
Burn ~ As it says A Burning App
Transmission ~ p2p client
Skitch ~ Screen capture and more
VLC ~ Video player that plays most codecs and does a lot more
Perian and Flip4Mac Makes watching certain codecs easier ... This is Essential IMHO
Audacity ~ Play with Music App
CandyBar ~ Mods all your icons, and dock
MainMenu or Oynx ~ Does the same as Disk utility only more thorough
Quicksilver ~ Works like Spotlight but way way better and does so much more
StuffitExpander ~ Opens Zip and rar files and more
Lil Snitch ~ Firewall type App that looks at your incoming and outgoing traffic
and last but certainly not least .....
AppTrap ~ Once installed it sits in System Preferences and deletes all associated files of anything that you put in the trash ...

Should keep you busy for a while lol
HTH

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
screenshot20110221at952.png
OK, I did all that, and this is my screen now. Now the status is:
Stickies open from the bottom menu bar (Yellow seen on left) They are functional now.
The other stickies icon to the right of the big stickies.......So I'm just wondering why the icon is even there if I already have one in the bottom menu. It won't let me delete it.
screenshot20110221at952.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Well done.

You need to get your terminology right here. The bar at the far top is called "MenuBar and the *bottom menubar* is called the Dock

Now everything in the Dock down the bottom is basically a shortcut. They are all aliases of what you have in your Applications folder. Now if you click and drag one OFF the dock it will disappear in a puff of smoke *poof* . . . Dont fret though as you havnt trashed it or put it in the bin. If you want something back in the dock, goto Applications and drag something there. When there it will part other Apps for you and then release it. It is now back in the dock

HTH

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The "bottom menu" is called the Dock. It has shortcuts, that's all. Those things are not "real" - not the applications (on the left) or files (on the right). They are just a quick way to get to those things. So, having an icon there does not mean you have the item twice.

Now, you're saying you can't delete the icon on your Desktop? Now, maybe you don't want to, but it should be possible. Just hear this advice: Don't delete anything unless you are sure, have confirmed with a veteran Mac user, what it is!

Edit: You beat me mate! I was interrupted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The "bottom menu" is called the Dock. It has shortcuts, that's all. Those things are not "real" - not the applications (on the left) or files (on the right). They are just a quick way to get to those things. So, having an icon there does not mean you have the item twice.

Now, you're saying you can't delete the icon on your Desktop? Now, maybe you don't want to, but it should be possible. Just hear this advice: Don't delete anything unless you are sure, have confirmed with a veteran Mac user, what it is!

Edit: You beat me mate! I was interrupted.

;P

Great advice to from toMACsh with dont delete anything from your Mac unless you know what it is.

Now re-reading your thread i believe the **other** icon of stickies near the real Stickie will be OK to trash. I think when you clicked the Stickies DataBase icon in a previous post that it has just created another alias.

Get info on it and see what it says. cmd>i once you have highlighted it :)

Cheers

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Darn it! I highlighted it, then did what you said (cmd>i) and it made another one next to it. It has a little "i" next to it. Here's a screen shot. I'm getting to the point that I'm nervous about clicking on anything. Now what?
screenshot20110221at120.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Don't worry about the Info window, every file, folder and application will display that when you select it (highlight it) and press Command-I. You can always safely close it. It simply displays various details and options available for that file, and will come in handy some other time, but for now you can just close it.

The little Stickies icon with the i under it is an alias (or shortcut) for Stickies that you accidentally created and named "i". It too can be safely trashed, like any aliases of applications (programs) you might create. An alias is just a pointer, not the original application, and you can tell from the little arrow pointing to it, just like "create shortcut" in Windows.

As for the other Stickies icon, it looks like you accidentally dragged the application itself out of your Applications folder when you were trying to drag it into the Dock. It landed on your desktop instead. That means you must drag Stickies back into the Applications folder. Then try dragging it from there into position in the Dock at the bottom.

If Stickies is already open, right click on it and choose "Keep in Dock". If it says "Remove from Dock" instead, then you've successfully added Stickies to the Dock. (Remember that the Dock icons also represent shortcuts to their respective applications, folders or files, not the actual applications, folders or files themselves.)

What I'm guessing happened is you tried to drag the Stickies icon from the Applications folder into the Dock but missed and ended up moving it to the Desktop, where you selected it and accidentally created an alias of it, which you named "i" in the process of trying to open the Info window with Command-I. Does that solve the mystery?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, as for Command>I, that was a typing error on TattooedMac's part. It should be Command-I, but that does NOT translate into 3 keys (the Command key, the hyphen key and the I key). The hyphen separates the keyboard shortcut, it's not part of it. So you'd press the Command key and the I key. Remember that because you'll probably get a lot of advice calling for such keyboard shortcuts.

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I deleted the alias one with the i by it, and dragged the other one to the applications folder I opened from Dock. There was already one in position all along in the dock, but it still doesn't open. Now the one in the dock is the only one there, and one in applications Arrrrrrrg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just drag the one in the Dock up and out, towards your desktop. It will disappear in a puff of smoke, which is normal. The application has not been deleted, just the Dock icon for it. When you were clicking that icon it was probably still looking for Stickies on your desktop, but you've since moved it to your applications folder.

Now, you should only have one Stickies icon, the one for the application itself within your Applications folder. Drag THAT one, very carefully, into the Dock. Now you will have a second Stickies icon there, which is only a shortcut that you can remove, reposition and add again as often as you'd like. The important one is the one in your Applications folder, which is the actual application itself.

For now, just try to get used to accessing the applications folder via the Finder. It will do away with potentially confusing extra movement. The Finder is the first icon in your dock on the far left that looks like a blue smiley face. Clicking that will show you the contents of your hard drive and all its folders. You can find the Applications folder under Macintosh HD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.