accessing my external drive from anywhere without mobileme?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook pro 13" 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo 8GB RAM 750 GB HDD
Hi

I have a 1tb external hard drive hooked up to my airport extreme. Right now, I just use it for backing up at home. But what I want to do is use it on the go. Ill be going on vacation in a few weeks, and just in case my computer doesn't get the pictures and videos, I want to have them on my home drive so when I come home they will be waiting there.

Is there a way to access the drive without mobileme? I tried googling it, but i wasn't sure what to search.

Thanks!

OP
crazypotatos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was thinking of something more along the lines of free or accessing the IP or something that isn't 100$

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Try Googling "access airdisk over internet" or something similar. There are a bunch of people trying to accomplish the same thing.

OP
crazypotatos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Or you could pay for the 50GB or 100GB account. Watch out with creating multiple accounts as dropbox is usually tied with computers.

Do you have a machine you can keep on? Then you could use something like teamviewer to transfer the files by mounting the AEBS disk on that computer, then using teamviewer to remotely access it.

I am able to mount a timecapsule usb disk through ssh tunneling but cannot backup to it. I can copy files there - but again I have a linux server running ssh so either solution means you need a computer running.

OP
crazypotatos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well i could probably just edit and upload the videos I would need on youtube, to youtube while im on vacation. it wouldn't really take that long. Plus i have an 8gig sd card so that works as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.