Logitech Speakers

Reaction score
I am new to this forum and the macworld so would appreciate as much advice as can be given!

I have purchased some Logitech portable speakers that go into the USB port on my mac. They produce a much better sound than the built in speakers on the mbp but I want to try and use both the in built speakers at the same time at the portable speakers.

Does anyone know how I can do this?

I have looked around the forums and cant find any answers to my problem.

Thanks for any help you can give me in advance!!

Tom

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
it would be out of sync. going through the USB connection adds a delay that would be rather distinctive. even running two different length wires would add an annoying delay.

there is pretty much no way to get output from the stock speakers and a USB audio, cause you only have one output available on the mac, and it disables the speakers when somewhere else is selected.

you can get more outputs with an audio interface, however, but they dont take USB outputs.

Reaction score
In my experience with audio equipment, I would say that its likely the built in speakers would degrade the overall sound quality if mixed with better speakers.

Reaction score
it would be out of sync. going through the USB connection adds a delay that would be rather distinctive. even running two different length wires would add an annoying delay.

there is pretty much no way to get output from the stock speakers and a USB audio, cause you only have one output available on the mac, and it disables the speakers when somewhere else is selected.

you can get more outputs with an audio interface, however, but they dont take USB outputs.

Different length speaker wires won't introduce audible delays. After all, the signal travels through the wire at close to the speed of light.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Different length speaker wires won't introduce audible delays. After all, the signal travels through the wire at close to the speed of light.

okay fair enough, my bad. ill take that bit out.

Reaction score
okay fair enough, my bad. ill take that bit out.

FWIW an approximation is that every 1/1000 of a second delay represents about a foot of speaker movement.

In copper wire, the electrons move through it at about 97% of the speed of light in a vacuum. Which is near 700 million miles per hour. Hence a speaker wire length difference caused delay would be quite a short time interval indeed.

A USB speaker needing to convert the digital signal coming through the cable back to analog would have some small processing delay, but I am not sure how much. If it was within a millisecond or two some minor speaker repositioning might help.

Reaction score
In an AC current electric charges don't move at all. The electrons just sit in place and get agitated. It's kind of like if wires were made of a tube of marbels and you push on one end at 1mph yes the last marbel will reach the speaker right away but they're only traveling 1mph.

Hard to explain but either way if you have a wire(tube of marbles) of different lengths the audible difference would be to small to recognize.

I have been searching for a software enabled way of using external USB speakers and headphones at the same time and yet to figure it out.

Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.