Power Mac G5 antenna issue

Reaction score
Hi, I recently upgraded from a G4 to a dual 2ghz G5. I am having trouble getting on the Internet with the airport card installed. My g4 connected fine at the same house and network. I opened the computer and double checked the card and antenna we're firmly inserted. However, I disconnected it and was about to reconnect and try again when I noticed the internal antenna connection seems to be damaged. The computer recognizes the card and says it is on, but it cannot find any networks. My question is if I connect an external antenna on the back of the computer.. Will it override the faulty internal antenna? Or do the two have to be fully functional to work? I am 99% sure the pin and connection of the internal antenna is shot. I would like to know if the external antenna is connected and the internal is not, will I be able to connect to the Internet. My router supports b/g/n formats so compatibility isn't the issue. Any help would be great.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
However, I disconnected it and was about to reconnect and try again when I noticed the internal antenna connection seems to be damaged. The computer recognizes the card and says it is on, but it cannot find any networks. My question is if I connect an external antenna on the back of the computer.. Will it override the faulty internal antenna? Or do the two have to be fully functional to work? I am 99% sure the pin and connection of the internal antenna is shot. I would like to know if the external antenna is connected and the internal is not, will I be able to connect to the Internet. My router supports b/g/n formats so compatibility isn't the issue. Any help would be great.

I'm not sure what you mean by a faulty internal antenna...or whether something is actually broken or not.

The internal antennas on many of the early Powermac G5's didn't work well...so Apple redesigned things and later Powermac G5's (like yours) shipped with an external antenna. Which looks like this:

g5antennalarge.jpg

As far as something being broken inside. If it's broke...then it will need to be repaired or replaced. If nothing is broken inside...then maybe all you need is the antenna pictured above.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
The connection plug of the internal antenna is damaged.(the part that plugs directly into the card). I was just curious since the g5's have options for an external antenna, if it is necessary for the internal antenna to be fully functional in order for the external antenna to function? Or do they opperate separate of each other. For instance, does the external antenna take the signal from the internal antenna and improve that signal? Or does the external antenna operate completely on it's own( meaning the internal antenna could be disconnected and the external antenna will still fetch a wireless signal). If I buy an apple external antenna and plug it into the back of the computer and I do not plug the internal antenna into the card... Will I get a signal?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The connection plug of the internal antenna is damaged.(the part that plugs directly into the card). I was just curious since the g5's have options for an external antenna, if it is necessary for the internal antenna to be fully functional in order for the external antenna to function? Or do they opperate separate of each other. For instance, does the external antenna take the signal from the internal antenna and improve that signal? Or does the external antenna operate completely on it's own( meaning the internal antenna could be disconnected and the external antenna will still fetch a wireless signal). If I buy an apple external antenna and plug it into the back of the computer and I do not plug the internal antenna into the card... Will I get a signal?

The Airport card needs an antenna of some sort plugged into it. That internal wire that plugs into the Airport card is the interface/conduit for any sort of external antenna. So if that internal wire is broken...then no external antenna plugged into the antenna port on the back of the computer will work.

It's like links in a chain:

- you have airport card "A"
- then the internal plug/wire "B"
- then external antenna port "C"
- then external antenna "D" (pictured above)

If "B" is broken...then there is no link from "A" to "C".

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.