• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Use of RFID in Apple's iPhone 5 expected to have a 'unique' twist

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
A couple years ago I read about a guy who implanted an RFID into his arm and set it up to electronically open up his front door.

How about iphone as master key? For your house and your car. They already have them for some Chevy's I think. I don't know why somebody hasn't done it yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Does RFID or NFC capabilities in your phone make it easier for someone to steal your info? They already have credit card readers that thieves use to walk past you on the street and wirelessly capture your card info from your wallet or purse. It just seems that things that are too automated can also be a danger.
Or maybe I've just seen i,Robot too many times. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Currently, RFID is a feature I would not like on any device that travels with me or stores my personal information. I would seek out and avoid devices with such capabilities. I'm just not confident that the government and corporations have gotten to the point where asking permission is the norm -vs- asking forgiveness (after taking liberties with personal information). <tinfoil hat>

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Does RFID or NFC capabilities in your phone make it easier for someone to steal your info? They already have credit card readers that thieves use to walk past you on the street and wirelessly capture your card info from your wallet or purse. It just seems that things that are too automated can also be a danger.
Or maybe I've just seen i,Robot too many times. ;)

That was one of the big issues people had with RFID tags being added to passports. Some company even made a shielded case for your passport to prevent such theft.

While I think it's possible, the likelihood of it happening is probably pretty slim.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Currently, RFID is a feature I would not like on any device that travels with me or stores my personal information. I would seek out and avoid devices with such capabilities. I'm just not confident that the government and corporations have gotten to the point where asking permission is the norm -vs- asking forgiveness (after taking liberties with personal information). <tinfoil hat>

I'm with you. If they want to track me, they'll have to get by using GPS, 3G, Wi-Fi, or Bluetooth. NFC is a step too far. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
I'm with you. If they want to track me, they'll have to get by using GPS, 3G, Wi-Fi, or Bluetooth. NFC is a step too far. ;D

Ha!
I was reading or listening to something about how the concept of privacy may end up to be a blip on the radar in the grand scheme of civilization. With Facebook and GPS and everything the whole concept does seem to be on its way out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.