• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Video editing software advice

D

Dennisco

Hi.
I'm new to the MAC (and thrilled) after being a dedicated Windows user for the last 17 years. I'm sold on them and I have a dualproc G5 (for me) and an iMAC G5 for my hunny.

Anyway, I've previously used Adobe Premier (painfully, I might add) for a little bit on Windows, then switched to Sony Vegas and have been pretty happy with that. I don't do HD yet, only because I haven't been able to, but I'd love to.

Right now I want to get some advice from you experts out there on what to use on the MAC. My requirements are as follows:
1) i don't want to buy something and then say "oh darn, I should have bought the next version up".
2) I do alot of slide shows (stills with transitions, music in the backgrounds, and want to be able to fade in / out audio tracks).
3) All of my video has been shot thus far on a Sony DV tape recorder and I can easily (I hope) either move it over to the MAC, or I'm fine w/reimporting to whatever I buy.
4) Output needs to be either for PC, MAC, or standalone DVD players. I want the choice. I want to be able to output at 1024 or better for my PC and MACs, but also need to be able to produce a decent version for today's DVD players.
5) Sound today is off the mic on the video camera if it's video; no 5.1 needs yet, but I would do it if i could.

My experience has been that usually the apps that come with the computer are beginner or at least not full featured, so I'm not really considering the stuff that came with iLife. I tried it and it's pretty basic.

So, what should I buy? Final Cut Studio (kaching...)? DVD Studio Pro 4?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
dc

OP
A

AndrewK

I would definitly go with Final Cut Studio. It should meet all the needs you list. If you have any other questions on it, let me me know - I own it so I can try to help you. DVD Studio Pro 4 is included with FInal Cut Studio and is awesome for DVD authoring.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Actually imovie is pretty good for creating most things - but you notice the limitations fairly soon...

I second Final Cut Studio as the best most complete video creation package you can get.

If you want to focus on the video editing bit only, maybe also consider final cut express hd. I think there's also a trial of that...

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
From what you have stated iLife will meet your needs. I would atart there first to see, if you can do everything you want. Before you go out and spend a 1299.00 on Final Cut Studio. If iLife does not meet your needs, then you can say that the 1299 is well spent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Or you may even want to look into Final Cut Express if you need something a little more powerful than iLife without having to buy the entore Final Cut Studio.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
rman said:
From what you have stated iLife will meet your needs. I would atart there first to see, if you can do everything you want. Before you go out and spend a 1299.00 on Final Cut Studio. If iLife does not meet your needs, then you can say that the 1299 is well spent.

I would have to agree. All of the things you listed are able to be done using the iLife suite. iLife can be very basic, but each app does have some intermediate level capabilities as well.
If you really need something more than iLife, I would go with Final Cut Express. There is no reason to purchase a professional level app like the Studio version for what you are lookng to do. Studio would be extreme overkill for your needs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.