• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Jeopardy Man vs. Machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Some of the answers Watson came up with were pretty interesting. Once question was looking for the material that hedgehog quills are made of and Watson's top 3 answers were:
-keratin
-porcupine_2
-fur
Watson chose keratin correctly, but what's up with porcupine underscore two? Still, it's amazing to me Watson was able to do anything as some of those questions on Jeopardy are pretty subtle. It was also humorous to see Watson answer "Toronto?????" when the question was looking for an American city's name. Even funnier was that Watson knew it likely wasn't right and bet very little money and added the ????? to the answer. Kind of impressive AND creepy.
"I for one welcome our new computer overlords."

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I heard about this on the radio. Pretty amazing. I'm surprised it knows how to guess?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I saw some clips of that on Fox News last night. Quite an amazing machine. Of course the inventor (or should I say creator) of the computer is none other than "Big Iron".... Yep, IBM!

Quite a startling difference from the days of the 1401, 1410, and famous 360/50 machines. Anyone remember those?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
From ZDNet:

According to David Davidian, an IBM Senior System Architect, “Watson is a massively parallel system based on the IBM POWER7 750 in a standard rack mounted configuration.” It can run AIX, IBM’s house-brand Unix; IBM I; and Linux. To compete on Jeopardy Watson is running Novell’s SUSE Linux Enterprise Server.

Watson is made up of ninety IBM POWER 750 servers, 16 Terabytes of memory, and 4 Terabytes of clustered storage. Davidian continued, “This is enclosed in ten racks including the servers, networking, shared disk system, and cluster controllers. These ninety POWER 750 servers have four POWER7 processors, each with eight cores. IBM Watson has a total of 2880 POWER7 cores.”

We run SAP (R3 and others) on P7-720s and 750s at work. I thought we were pretty sweet with 2TB of RAM. Watson makes our POWER-HA Cluster look like an iPad. Note each Power 7 processor has 8 cores (virtual processors) and each of those have 4 logical processors. This allows for 256 multi-threads to run simultaneously.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
In a way Watson is like a baby. It learns through repetition. And it'll have a % chance of success for any answer in it's head. I'm sure the Toronto answer it thought was a small % chance of success. But it was probably the best answer it had. Hence the ???.

Now the big question. Is Watson the first step towards Skynet?

I Lost On Jeopardy by Weird Al Yankovic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_25xlCcsJQ

The perfect song for this I think. And yes the people did lose.

Reaction score
In a way Watson is like a baby. It learns through repetition. And it'll have a % chance of success for any answer in it's head. I'm sure the Toronto answer it thought was a small % chance of success. But it was probably the best answer it had. Hence the ???.

Now the big question. Is Watson the first step towards Skynet?

I Lost On Jeopardy by Weird Al Yankovic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_25xlCcsJQ

The perfect song for this I think. And yes the people did lose.

not the first step, that came loooooong ago. A large step, though! Probably more important was the development of the POWER7 and its DARPA funding.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
That is really cool, I might have to start watching Jeopardy.

OP
iWhat

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
That is really cool, I might have to start watching Jeopardy.

The Watson special is over, but I'm sure you can find something on YouTube. I think it was only three days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz i5 MBP, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, NVIDIA Geforce GT 330m/16GB iPhone 4 in a brick sized otterbox.
Watson is just a nickname. His real name is Skynet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.