• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New York Times Obituary

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
An Obituary printed in the New York Times - Interesting and sadly rather true

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:
- Knowing when to come in out of the rain;
- Why the early bird gets the worm;
- Life isn't always fair;
- and Maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death, by his parents, Truth and Trust, by his wife, Discretion, by his daughter, Responsibility, and by his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers;
I Know My Rights
I Want It Now
Someone Else Is To Blame
I'm A Victim

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Well said that man. Nothing to say, it's all there in black and white.

OP
Buzzard2010
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Thanks, I got it emailed to me today and had to share it! It is as it states, sadly true :(

- Simon

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I am surprised it saw print. Wonderful!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Classic! That pretty well sums it up. I'm afraid it will get worse before it gets better and few seem to really care anyhow. Give us "bread and circuses" and we'll pretty much do as directed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

My favorite part.
Just try to bake a loaf of bread with a dented bread pan. Do you think the bread will have a dent in it? Better believe it! The worse the "dent", the worse the "bread" turns out. :Not-Amused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Inspiring ! And what makes that little piece so good, is that even dim witted boobs such as those it speaks of, can CLEARLY understand it and identify with it! But it is really so sad that everyone knows this, and chooses to turn a blind eye in the face of a challenge.

I think this applies more to people in the U.S. than in other countries, personally speaking. And on the whole, people here clearly seems to have given up on trying to take control of their own lives and issues, and would rather pass the buck because hey.. it's easier to blame someone else for the mistakes they've made, rather than own up to your own mistakes which you've then declined to try and fix. This permeates our society here, right from the top to the very bottom. And it shows.

I'm sorry but, the only way I see things changing is out of anarchy or revolution. Anything less than that will simply find another media outlet to sensationalize and popularize it to the point of mockery, as has been the way now for a long while. Doubt I'll see a change in my lifetime.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Oh this applies spot on to the UK. I can identify with everything written in that post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 11", fuel injected, 4-barrel, duel carbs, glass pack mufflers
Wow! On the money. I will say on the hot coffee comment that the woman spilled a large coffee in her lap scalding her thighs. Stumbling into McDonalds's and crying for help, she was mocked by the employees and got no help. Sooooo, not totally a Darwinian award.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.