• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

King Of Limbs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
YAY ! Radiohead is finished recording their 8th album and it is being released in digital format this coming Saturday (great birthday gift for me), and the physical release will be in May.

Radiohead's new record, The King Of Limbs, is presented here as the world's first* Newspaper Album, comprising:

• Two clear 10" vinyl records in a purpose-built record sleeve.
  • A compact disc.
  • Many large sheets of artwork, 625 tiny pieces of artwork and a full-colour piece of oxo-degradeable plastic to hold it all together.
  • The Newspaper Album comes with a digital download that is compatible with all good digital media players.
  • The Newspaper Album will be shipped on Monday 9th May 2011 you can, however, enjoy the download on Saturday 19th February 2011.
  • Shipping is included in the prices shown.
  • One lucky owner of the digital version of The King Of Limbs, purchased from this website, will receive a signed 2 track 12" vinyl.
*perhaps

Newspaper Album + MP3 PRICE $48.00
Newspaper Album + WAV PRICE $53.00

The King of Limbs : Where are you?

PSYCHED !

Doug

Reaction score
I was not a Radiohead fan until I heard the Radiodredd covers of their songs.

Something about a reggae version of Radiohead that appeals to me.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm with you on this one Doug. Heard about it this morning and quickly pre-ordered. It's been a long wait since In Rainbows (has it already been three years?). Saturday should be a treat for the ears!

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Three years already ? Wow. To be honest, the only wait that killed me was the transition between OK Computer and KidA/Amnesiac. Thom had a lot of issues to deal with. But In Rainbows and its bonus track album have done more than enough to tide me over without having to worry about new releases. Especially since Thom has produced so much solo work with Atoms For Peace. All the live new stuff, and the occasional B side esque stuff...

Ok Computer is still my go to favorite for a lot of reasons, and even if they never produced another album I'd be satisfied with their catalog. My only regret would be that they never produced a full working version of Big Boots/Man O War, even if there is that fan modified version of it, which is pretty good.

Can't wait for the tour too... last time we went to see them, which was in Virginia at the Nissan Pavillion, it rained like mad and my sissy wife made us leave in the middle of their set. I was extremely ******. Should have just let her go back to the car alone. Meh@me.

Doug

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I was surprised that IR was three years ago. It still sounds fresh and new to me. I quite enjoy listening to it now much like I did the first day I got it.

Many may disagree with me on this one but my favourite album is Amnesiac. I can't explain it but it is so soothing and relaxing listening to it. It's a great way to unwind at the end of a long day. I don't expect KoL to be like it but I'm sure it will be great.

I haven't seen them live but would love to go see them. I have a friend who has seen them multiple times and says that their concerts are like no others. I saw "Live in Praha" (talk about a long download) and it was great. The whole time, all I could think was "I wish I was there." Here's to hoping they come here!

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree with your friend. I've seen them a few times. My favorite venue was back in June, 2001 at Liberty State Park, N.J. The energy was nothing short of electrifying. Hearing new songs like Spinning Plates and You and Who's army live was breathtakingly amazing. And as much as I hate hearing people try to sing along in live recordings and such.. you just can't help yourself. I was singing with the others around me like a bunch of loonies.

The next one I went to, (Madison Square Garden) I took my wife with me. She likes RH a lot, but not nearly to the level that I do. She couldn't believe how much I was singing along, as it was a side of me she hadn't seen before. Kind of reminds me of that scene from "I love you man", when they're at the Rush concert haha..(funny movie IMO, if you haven't seen it)

And yeah, Amnesiac is awesome. Well, except for its version of Morning Bell. I loathe that version.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
One of my favorite songs is House Of Cards I will have to check their new stuff out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Weird Fishes/ Arpeggi!!!! Awesome tune!!! Gets me through a day when I feel like i've been eaten by the worm!!!
Love House of Cards too plus Fake Plastic Trees, 2+2... I could go on :)
Can't wait for the new Album, really doesn't seem like three years since In Rainbows!!

- Simon

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You and Whose Army is one of my favourite Radiohead songs. I would love to see it live (YouTube videos of if won't do it justice). I can also understand the feelings about singing along. I hate it when I watch it but when you're at a concert, you don't realize that it just happens. I've come to understand what it's like when watching a live version of something and although it's annoying to watch, I understand why people are doing it.

A wife that loves Radiohead? She's a keeper. ;)

osxx: If you've only really listened to In Rainbows, you've got to listen to some of their other stuff. IR is great but so is their older stuff. Well worth a look.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
great birthday gift for me
Depending whether or not you want an early birthday gift, you can download it now. I just logged into their website and the download link was working on my order status page.

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll confess. A friend of mine gave me a copy since he pre ordered earlier. I said I was going to skip the digital only version so that I could get the vinyl. I've only listened to the first two songs but so far, I'm thinking that if the whole album is like those two, (although Good Morning Mr. Magpie is a VERY old song and wasn't interested in hearing it go full production, would much rather have heard Big Boots.. .WHY OH WHY Can't they do BIG BOOTS ! ?) then I'm not going to be so crazy about it.

So far sounds like Thom's solo work mixed with a lot of their B side experimental stuff. Which isn't to say I don't like those things. On the contrary, I do... but not as an actual album release from Radiohead. It's not as coherent and definitely lacks a theme.

Doug

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're far from the first to say that about the new album. Personally, I have a bit of an ambivalent attitude about it. I've listened through it twice now and I don't know what to make of it. I'll give it time though given that I don't think it's terrible.

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's the thing though... I've heard multiple people saying: " Just let it sink in, give it a few listens etc etc.. " I don't have to. I know what I like and don't need to be influenced by some measure of doubt that people like to put upon others when they're afraid to be in the minority about something such as this. There are a few good tunes for sure, but they're nowhere on the level of what I'd expect from a collaborative Radiohead effort. This sounds like a one man show, headed by Thom IMO, and isn't even up to par with the likes of The Eraser.

Bloom is cool. Great opener. Really tight bass line and really moody/strong.

Morning Mr. Magpie is a disaster and far from what it could have been, should have been left alone IMO. In fact, I have a version of it, which was made by a fan, and it's much much better IMO. I'll send you the link to it which is in a dropbox folder if you'd like.

Little by Little is just kind of I dunno, flat. Background music that fades into obscurity for me. Pretty much like every single Coldplay song. It's droning, but not interesting enough to want to remember.

Feral: Cheesy para diddle drum beat, even cheesier sampled synth vocals and beats. This thing is a turd sandwich IMO. And despite what the drones will say, it is NOT... avant garde ! They've written MUCH better moody electronic b sides than that thing !

Lotus Flower: A bit better. Nice spacial mood, still with the cheesy drum kit beat though... The video for this is awesome... Thom is a silly dancing monkey, have to dig that. It's a catchy tune as well, with some really decent layering. Thom's falsetto is also really good here.

Codex: I'm sure this will be the comfort zone pick for most mainstream RH fans. Nice composition, excellent arrangement with the strings and horns/brass. Love the opening vocal swell, covered with reverb... haunting. Really nice vocals again. Excellent production here, though I typically prefer things a bit more dry and forward. You can tell that Johnny worked on this one.

Give up the Ghost: It would have been hard to screw this one up, but what annoys me is that they didn't even try to change ONE thing about it compared to the solo version that Thom always does live. In fact, I've heard better live versions than this album version. Disappointing to say the least. Sounds like there's a freegin vuvuzela blowing on the right speaker during the harmonies at times. Meh.

Separator: Sounds discombobulated but not in a good way. Forced, yet boring at the same time. Horrible closing track IMO. I will not be purchasing the vinyl, especially just for the sake of having it. Not unless they say that this stuff is just B side filler, and the real album is on its way.

Doug

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree with you in that I won't be forced to have something "grow on me" but it usually takes a few listen throughs to fully appreciate an album (or not appreciate it). This is a personal thing - it's always been that way for me. I won't however continue to listen to an album more than a few times because others like it (I sound like a hipster there).

KoL is definitely no Amnesiac, In Rainbows or OK Computer. In fact, there was almost a sense of relief when I listened through Amnesiac after listening to KoL, perhaps because I was looking for something that was more familiar. KoL seems a little odd right now and I'm not sure whether that's because it's still new or it is in fact an odd album. Although I may end up liking it, KoL won't be my favourite given their past work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.