iMac buggy

L

laserdoc

Well let see, I've had the iMac less than a week and already been with tech support twice, once for a corrupted file system and now for a hardware failure with the line in jack. This is just one experience, but I have now found a web site called g5freeze.com where others have had problems with older version G5 iMacs. Anyone else having this kind of bad luck with a new system.
BTW, it goes back to the apple store in the am.

OP
M

macguy.nielsen

I've had my iMac for a week now as well and it has worked perfectly. I have never been more happy with a desktop computer. Just for curiosity sake, did you get the iMac shipped to you, if so, how was it shipped?

I hope you get it all fixed up and working properly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
I have noticed mine starts to "whistle" a little bit if I leave it on for more than a couple days. But if I just force it to hibernate and bring it back that goes away. Other than that is has been a great machine.

There has actually been an extended repair warranty on the older machines you are talking about: http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0508imacg5repair.html

This was due to some bad components that were used... But as far as I know there aren't any such widespread issues with the current models.

OP
L

laserdoc

I bought it at Compusa last Sunday. It has also frozen twice requiring a hard reboot. I thought that never happened to macs. It is also VERY noisy. I am in the next room and I can hear it whining. So far I am very disappointed. I am back to my reliable Dell right now. Hopefully the Apple Store will make things right.

Laserdoc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
I hope so too... I'd hate to see one bad "apple" ruin the experience for ya.

(sorry.. im a sucker for lame puns)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
laserdoc said:
It has also frozen twice requiring a hard reboot. I thought that never happened to macs.

ANY computer can crash, freeze, lock up, etc.
NO computer or OS is infallible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
D3v1L80Y said:
ANY computer can crash, freeze, lock up, etc.
NO computer or OS is infallible.

Well said...

A computer just is an electronic device, and as such can fail...no matter what brand or price.

OP
T

The Fly

Is this a first-generation iMac G5? From what I've read and experienced, first-generation Macs are often buggy. For instance, my iBook G3 was manufactured with a critical logic board flaw, and I sent it back to Apple twice in a six-month period for repair. It's unfortunate, but I have to say Apple is very efficient when it comes to taking care of their customers. Each time I sent my iBook in for repair, it was fixed in a day -- free of charge -- and shipped back to me via Next Day Air. All said and done, I went from drop-off to fixed/received in less than a week.

Unfortunately this iBook was my "switcher" computer, but the issues, though painfully annoying at times, have not made me want to go back to using Windows. I just know now to wait until an Apple model is at least in its second generation to buy it.

OP
L

laserdoc

Well, Apple said it was a faulty logic board. The guy at the store said they could fix it but it would take 1-2 weeks. He claimed it was an unusual problem. Four other iMac users were in line with various problems. One lady said smoke was coming out of her iMac. That can't be good.

I returned my iMac to Compusa and got another one. So far it is working but had another crash with Sherlock causing a corrupted cache and a minor hiccup with Retrospect backup. The Tiger seems a little timid to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yikes, man I don't have any of those problems with my iMac G5.. it's the best computer I have ever owned, never crashes, no corrupted caches, etc etc.. I don't use Sherlock or Retrospect though, so maybe it has something to do with those programs.. no idea on that though. I think you just might be getting lemons for some reason.. I would probably not get them from CompUSA or.. man I don't know.. that's just sad :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.