• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I am mac-less now

Reaction score
:eek:neye:

The mini just sold, I need to figure out what I am going to buy next. :spook:

I like the iBook's features and price but everytime I use one they just feel so cheap, which had kind of made me consider getting a higher model mini to replace my old one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
mynameis said:
:eek:neye:

The mini just sold, I need to figure out what I am going to buy next. :spook:

I like the iBook's features and price but everytime I use one they just feel so cheap, which had kind of made me consider getting a higher model mini to replace my old one.

Well, the iBook and the Mini share quite a few parts. Hardware wise, they are almost identical.
The iBook does have some advantages though. A higher RAM maximum and more portability (screen and keyboard included, :)) to name a couple.

They are far from being "cheap". They are very rugged, and extremely durable laptops. I absolutely love mine :black:

M

macguy.nielsen

Why'd ya sell your mini in the first place?

If you're looking for great quality and portability I'd recommend the iBook as well. I take my 12" iBook everywhere with me. The 14" iBook with best specs is basically the same as the best Mac Mini. I'd say it all comes down to whether you want portability or not :)

OP
M
Reaction score
macguy.nielsen said:
Why'd ya sell your mini in the first place?

I figured that would be the best way to upgrade to Tiger. I got $450 for it so I could go out and spent that plus the $140, that I would have spent to upgrade to Tiger, and get a brand new 1.42Ghz mac mini with Tiger, better processor, bigger HD, bluetooth, and airport extreme. Only downside would be no longer having 1gb ram, which I could upgrade eventually. The new standard 512mb wouldn't be that bad. Or I could just get a new iBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
Those iBooks are great... The one I bought for my wife is built like a tank. She has dropped it twice now :eek:neye: and it hasn't missed a beat. I just wish I could have waited to get the newer version with the upped RAM etc.

OP
M
Reaction score
When I was at Apple on Thursday, they didn't have any of the new iBooks on display. I didn't think to ask if they had any in stock. They should have them though, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
mynameis said:
I figured that would be the best way to upgrade to Tiger. I got $450 for it so I could go out and spent that plus the $140, that I would have spent to upgrade to Tiger, and get a brand new 1.42Ghz mac mini with Tiger, better processor, bigger HD, bluetooth, and airport extreme. Only downside would be no longer having 1gb ram, which I could upgrade eventually. The new standard 512mb wouldn't be that bad. Or I could just get a new iBook.
Well...it seems to me, that the best way to upgrade would have just been to spend the money and get Tiger.
You will likely notice very little difference between the processors. Granted, BT and the APE card are nice additions, but still doesn't seem to be worth it to me.
And you are right, the lack of the 1GB RAM is going to be a major downside.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
mynameis said:
When I was at Apple on Thursday, they didn't have any of the new iBooks on display. I didn't think to ask if they had any in stock. They should have them though, right?

It usually takes the stores a few days to get the new stock in... but it seems like they ought to have them by now. For me in Ft. Worth the closest one is in northern Dallas so I always call and ask before making a trip.

OP
M
Reaction score
D3v1L80Y said:
still doesn't seem to be worth it to me.

I think it is plenty worth it. For about the same cost to me, ~$140-160, I get a system that has a lot more stuff. I know the processor difference won't be very noticeable but having an airport card and a bigger hard drive would be really nice. Upgrading to 1GB of ram in a new mini would cost about $100, while upgrading to BT/Airport in my old one would have cost $200.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.