• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

FCE4 not rendering?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
I just opened a new project and imported all of my footage. I went up to sequence and tried to render the clips so that they will play, and it won't let me render them. Any ideas why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Rendering only applies to certain clips that are in the Timeline. You should be able to watch the clips in the Viewer before editing them into the Timeline.

Also if the clips are already in the Timeline and they aren't rendering, make sure that the Timeline is the active window! You may see the red render bars, but if the Browser or any other window is the active one, nothing in happen in the Timeline. I know this sounds like a simple, obvious thing but many times my students are trying to apply a command to the wrong window.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I feel stupid. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"
Woah, before you all go...

Okay, I've just started too, and the tutorial disk is very helpful but has overlooked something that maybe is an issue exclusive to my setup, and that is the fact that the four clips I have imported have a red line above them indicating that they need to be rendered.

I have made sure the timeline is the active window and used the space key to stop and start, now I've seen others using FCP and they only render when there is an effect or transition, not when simply placing clips in the timeline - so something isn't right.

Everything else is in accordance with the tutorial and the clips are all viewable.

Is it to do with my camera settings possibly, do they need to be somehow in synch?

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Take the clip, drop it on the timeline. Then take the same clip and put it in the first viewing window. Then, go to sequence, and render all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"
That works, but it's annoying and time consuming - surely I shouldn't have to render a clip unless I'm adding some kind of effect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
If your sequence settings don't match your clips settings, you will probably have to render a lot. If you have DV footage, for instance, make sure your sequence is set for DV-NTSC, and not for XDcam or some other format. You can change the sequence setting from Final Cut Pro>Audio/Video Settings but I think it will only apply to the next sequence you open.

Usually when you drag a clip into a sequence with different settings FCP will ask if you want to change the sequence settings to match the clip settings, which is exactly what you want most of the time. Make sure this alert is enabled in the Editing tab of User Preferences. It's the last option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.