• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Nokia ditches Symbian, embraces Microsoft Windows Phone for new handsets

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
+1 virtual rep to you.

And yes throw up the rumours too. It's all Apple chit chat we can drink, absorb and breathe and in short make our days that more informed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
+1 virtual rep to you.

And yes throw up the rumours too. It's all Apple chit chat we can drink, absorb and breathe and in short make our days that more informed.

Haha thanks! Rumours are the only things that get me through the day ;P

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Do any of you smell that ? I smell something .... Smells like... I dunno, like, Oh wait yeah, there it is. It's the death of Nokia.

D.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Do any of you smell that ? I smell something .... Smells like... I dunno, like, Oh wait yeah, there it is. It's the death of Nokia.

D.

I think the company Nokia will still go strong, they may eventually get bought out but I don' think anything like that will happen for a long time to come though.

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I read that one of the Google execs (someone from Google) posted a comment on Twitter about this situation. It was something to the effect of "two turkeys do not make an eagle".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
I don't know if I'd call this a death blow, but I think it's going to help them about as much as staying with symbian would have...

Android would have been the better fit to move forward. All indications are that windows phone 7 is a flop. I'd agree with this, myself.

Focusing on making decent hardware, which nokia can do, and using a tried and true OS, as opposed to one that fell flat would have possibly heralded in a new era for nokia.

If you remember, nokia was very dominant in the late 90s and early 2000s by having affordable, but usable phones with decent features and customization, and allowed for the masses to move into mobile territory much more quickly than others were.

This could have happened again, but I just don't see myself ever moving to that eyesore windows OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
From a design standpoint, I think Windows Phone 7 is pretty nice. And most technical reviews give it pretty good scores.

The problem is that they suck at marketing and have to overcome the perception they created with their prior craptastic releases.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I'd never want to see any platform fail. I love seeing all the smartphone competitors duke it out -- not that I'm looking for a clear winner per se. More than likely, it's going to benefit iOS users as Apple sees what might need some tweaks and tinkering.

Earlier today, I sent an email to my friend congratulating him on the partnership between WP7 and Nokia, because he works for Microsoft on the WP7 dev team. He said he's very much looking forward to what comes about from this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
do any of you smell that ? i smell something .... Smells like... I dunno, like, oh wait yeah, there it is. It's the death of nokia.

D.

qft....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
From a design standpoint, I think Windows Phone 7 is pretty nice. And most technical reviews give it pretty good scores.

The problem is that they suck at marketing and have to overcome the perception they created with their prior craptastic releases.

I tend to disagree with this. There are some good ideas behind it, but ultimately it suffers from poor execution.

I love the idea of the live widgets and what-not, even android has similar stuff, and especially the integration with other hardware like the xbox or a media server, but a phone user wants a good interface first, and foremost, and this comes off as very sloppy and clunky.

Let's face it, a sundae is just a bowl of ice cream if you take away the cherry and nuts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love the idea of the live widgets and what-not, even android has similar stuff, and especially the integration with other hardware like the xbox or a media server, but a phone user wants a good interface first, and foremost, and this comes off as very sloppy and clunky.

I don't happen to think it's sloppy or clunky. That better describes Android, or iOS Notifications, to me than WP7.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't get me wrong. I don't think iOS or Android are perfect by any means. And I do like the features of WP7. Layout is weird, though.

Honestly, though, certain flavors of Android are too. I wanted a droid x badly, until I played with one. Motoblur ruined it for me. I went with the equally powerful (but better screen) Fascinate because I like the Touchwiz 3.0 UI much better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

D.

Hardly! Maybe from the relatively small smartphone market, but Nokia will continue to dominate the low end market with its ridiculously cheap and well made feature phones. It will continue to be the number one mobile phone manufacturer for the foreseeable future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hardly! Maybe from the relatively small smartphone market, but Nokia will continue to dominate the low end market with its ridiculously cheap and well made feature phones. It will continue to be the number one mobile phone manufacturer for the foreseeable future.

But how long will the "small" smartphone market continue to be small. It's already almost 30% and it's grown exponentially the last 3 years with no sign of stopping.

Feature phones and plain old cell phones are going the way of the 8 track :)

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8 track and vinyl and VHS and betamax and laserdisc and HD-DVD and most analogue wireless signals etc etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
But how long will the "small" smartphone market continue to be small. It's already almost 30% and it's grown exponentially the last 3 years with no sign of stopping.

Feature phones and plain old cell phones are going the way of the 8 track :)

Smartphones themselves are relatively cheap in this country due to the subsidized model. However, plans for smartphones are still priced out of the range of most Americans, and way out of reach for those living in third world countries. So "dumbphone" sales will continue to dwarf smartphone sales for quite some time.

According to Gartner, total mobile phone sales in 2009 was 1.2 billion phones, of which smartphones accounted for 14%. That was an increase from the 11% it was in 2008, so smartphone sales are indeed increasing worldwide. Now of that 14%, Symbian still dominated with 52% of just smartphones. Nokia owns over 35% of the entire mobile phone market, well ahead of the second manufacturer, Samsung, which has a little over 15% market share, followed by LG and Motorola, with 8% each.

What I'm saying is that Nokia holds quite the lead on every other manufacturer out there, it's a little early to be ringing the death bells.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But are all Nokia's sales figures bringing in the revenue?
High volume sales can = low revenue if sell cheap junk. And can equal low profits if the profit margin on each device is low.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.