• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Multiple OLED Display Patents Surface from Apple

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Sounds cool, but I feel like saying something. I'm a huge fan of keeping up with new TV tech and knowing what's good and what not, but I'm not sold on oled tv sets yet. I've seen LCD tv's that are simply mind blowingly good, while still being cheaper than a smaller OLED tv. The average life of an LCD tv is a good 50,000 hours, while the average life of an OLED tv is limited to about 6000-7000 hours due to the short life of the blue organic phosphor. You also have the possibility of screen burn-in. That's a high price to pay for such a short life. As for computer use as display monitors, there is no screen small enough to truly display the resolution as well as LCD's can...at this point anyways.

I feel like they are pushing something that is such an expensive technology, when people have yet to fully utilize the very impressive led/lcd screens.

Yeah, yeah....I know, the first stuff always costs a lot...blah blah blah.

With that said, the physical properties of an OLED screen fit perfectly in line with Apples go thin, or go home design schemes.
Enough of my rant.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.