• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Car or Computer, which would you pitch?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
If you were faced with the choice between computers and cars which would you choose to keep?

1) Choice is permanent and irrevocable.

2) If car then you may never own or operate as long as you live any laptop, desktop, iPad, iPhone or computing device of any type or any operating system. Nor may anyone who resides with you operate one on your behalf.

3) If computer then you may never own or operate as long as you live any car, truck, motorcycle, bus, electric skateboard or any other motorized vehicle of any type. Nor may anyone who resides with you operate one on your behalf. You may use public transportation, and ride in vehicles owned and or operated by persons who do not reside with you.

Feel free to add a brief reason for your choice (or to comment on how ridiculous this poll is for that matter).

Reaction score
Definitely would keep the computer! Exercise isn't a bad thing :) And we absolutely have to have computers for my work, and my wife's. I already walk to work, and we use public transportation most of the time for errands, we really just use the car for odds and ends (most of which we could do without pretty easily)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
I think I can see the way this poll is edging already ;)
Although i'm sure that if you put the same poll on a car enthusiast website the poll will turn out different.

I would definitely choose Computer as at the moment I have no car and am using public transport anyways. Work is only a 10 minute walk for me, and last but not least, and definitely most importantly if I did not have my computer... I would cry :'(

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well taking out bias from both sides.

Without a car there is always your legs and public transport. So you're not disadvantaged really. You can still do most things.
And if you live in the bush you can always move to a city for the public transport.

Without a computer you can't email, take some jobs, chat to your friends, and a whole host of other things. That really can't be replaced. Sure you can live without it but you'll be left behind in the dust in an ever progressing world.

So after that I think it's pretty obvious which is more important.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
There would definitely be some lifestyle changes necessary...but I would choose the computer over the car as well.

But a persons geographical location would have to be a BIG factor in the decision as well. If you live in a rural area where there is no public transportation, and the nearest grocery store, drug store, department store, or home improvement store is 10-20 or more miles away...you really cannot do without a car/truck.

If you live in an urban area...where you have easy access to public transportation...or you live within reasonable walking or cycling distance of stores...then it is easier to give up the car.

- Nick

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Giving up the car would be a major sacrifice where I live. Small town, Arkansas, no public transportation. But the car would have to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Not even close. I value the type of self-sufficiency afforded by a personal vehicle. I'll keep my vehicles and find a new way to kill time after work. Of course I work with computers so the car will come in handy when applying for new jobs. ;)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Living in SolCal you need a car for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I just purchased my first car.. Went very smoothly.. Doing your homework actually pays off, haha!

I need both.. Mostly for work, but personal stuff too. I wouldn't be able to get to work, or even do my job without either of them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I am gonna break your world and have both so there!

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am gonna break your world and have both so there!

So that would make you a rebel with a cars . . . ..

Sorry for the pun. It's a weakness of mine. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
I would give up the computer, but I would complain endlessly until they changed the rules.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For some reason the poll seems to have closed after only six votes. I had set it up (I thought) to run for two weeks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Computers access is available anywhere. And if you need email...iphone. There are other modes of transportation, but having your own car tops them all. Got both, and would gladly ditch all my computers to keep my car. Have used busses before, and hated knowing you had no idea if you were going to run late or not until it's too late.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
muahaha, i have a motor bike, so im exempt from having to choose!

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
muahaha, i have a motor bike, so im exempt from having to choose!

3) If computer then you may never own or operate as long as you live any car, truck, motorcycle, bus, electric skateboard or any other motorized vehicle of any type

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
3) If computer then you may never own or operate as long as you live any car, truck, motorcycle, bus, electric skateboard or any other motorized vehicle of any type

oh the fine print was always my downfall :( lol!

i would probably pick the computer then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I chose a car with a full computer system built-in so I can just sit in my car and browse, check e-mail, etc.

It may not exist yet but I'll pick it when it does. Because we all know it's coming...

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
For some reason the poll seems to have closed after only six votes. I had set it up (I thought) to run for two weeks.

Fixed it for you. ^-^"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.