iMac updates in the near future?

Reaction score
I am about to buy a 27" i7 iMac with my tax return money, but I was wondering if they have any updates coming in the near future? I would hate to spend all this money and then a week later they come out with some major update to the iMac line.

Anyone have any insight?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
There is always a new model in the future. In saying so, this website might help.

Reaction score
Can't tell you what to do, but... You mentioned worrying about a major update. At best, it will probably be a simple refresh. It's always possible they could surprise everyone and drastically change them, but they could do that at any time. You can wait 6 months, or a year, and they may change little/nothing, or they may change the entire design. There is no way to know, Apple is very good about not leaking such information. My guess is, and from what I've seen most people also seem to think the same way - They might change the processors a little, or some other odds and ends, but if you buy one tomorrow and the refresh happens next week, chances are it's not going to be "light years" advanced over what you bought. Like CrimsonRequiem said, there's always a new model coming. If you wait for the latest, you'll never buy one :p

Welcome to the forums! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
I was in the same boat. I was thinking of waiting for a better base model of the 27 but both my windows desktop and laptop wend belly up. so I decided on the referb 27"

The way I look at it, My kids will need a new desktop in 3-4 years and think of the upgrades to the platform in that time frame.

Reaction score
I bought via the Refurbished site and there was an update the following week. The entire laptop line was changed; all aluminum models went "Pro".

It didn't really bother me about the upgrade but Apple refunded me the difference in price from my purchased model with no questions asked. That made the experience all that much better.

I have read that this is possible if your purchase is within 14 days of a price change.

C

chas_m

Waiting on the next *significant* update is a fool's errand, basically. Nobody actually knows when a major redesign or update is coming ... there are some trends, and certain products have a regular timetable, but basically unless there's strong EVIDENCE (not rumours) that a model change is on the way shortly, I'd just buy what I need when I need it and not worry about it.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info everyone. I'm definitely going to be pulling the trigger on the 27" i7 model.... I just wanted to make sure that nobody has heard of any significant changes that will be happening anytime soon. If something happens in 2-3 months, it won't break my heart. If it is within a month or so... it would bother me a bit.

Reaction score
You won't be disappointed in it :) I would be willing to bet there won't be any significant changes this time around. And one of the "rumored" changes (the processor) seems to have been met with troubles from what I read, anyway. So it could even be put off. Or maybe the rumors weren't true at all! You just never can tell :) You'll be happy with the 27 inch i7, I promise :p Good luck with your order! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.