Strange wireless network behavior with Macs and PCs - Need Advice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
Hello all!

I'm living in campus housing for Grad school. The wireless network that was set up is a hack-job and a half done by someone years ago. Luckily, we have an awesome IT guy who is in the process of getting us updated within the next 6 months, however, in the mean time, I'd like to know if there is anything we can do with the following issue:

Depending on the time of day/weather/lunar cycle/current president, our wireless network goes through various stages of functionality. Lately, we've been getting good connection to all of our APs, but limited connection to the internet. We're able to download at roughly 3.5kB/s (we actually share 15mB/s up and down, but even if I'm the only person on the network, I still hover around 3.5kB/s). The weird thing is, if a page won't load or the network seems to have slowed to a crawl, if I turn off my wireless adapter, in the split second before it shuts off, I suddenly get download speeds of over 1mB/s. I can sometimes get entire pages/applications to download using this technique. This is not unique to my computer either. It happens with Windows, Linux and OSX based computers. Any of you networking gurus know what this might be? Like I said, we only have to deal with this for the next 6 months at the most, but it'd be nice if we could find a solution. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

CS

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.