Managing Download/Bandwidth

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (White) 2.4GHz | iPhone 3GS 16 GB | BlackBerry Bold 9780
Hey Guys,

Here is a problem that i have been facing. I have a WIFI set up at home and three computers can access the WIFI. Two of them are mine and the other one is for my housemate.

The problem here is whenever i want to do something, the speed slows down, I changed the password for WIFI and it worked fine, as soon as i gave the password to my house mate same problem again.

I wanted to know if there is any way i can block the bandwidth, something like, he can still download but at a very low speed. Any Bandwidth Manager that any one can recommend. I looking for something free.

Cheers!
ash

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
It can be done on some routers, though that depends upon whether your WiFi router supports any throttling feature and whether you can access those features. A router-based solution is easiest to manage since you just mess with allotments for the MAC address of whom you wish to throttle. If not, there are a few commands you can execute on the Mac/Linux/BSD computer you want to slow down. Unfortunately, you would pretty much need your roommate's permission to execute those commands.

Here's anice little article on the topic:
How to throttle bandwidth on Mac OS X » Thirtyfootscrew's Blog

Another link to some freeware (I haven't tried it):
WaterRoof ipfw firewall frontend

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thread moved. Does not belong in "Anything Goes". Please read forum descriptions before posting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.