best mouse for ProTools???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo, ProTools HD, Digi 192
Hey guys,
I've been working with protools for a while and just put it on my macbook professional. I love everything about the trackpad features but it really starts to cramp up my hand after an hour or so.
Can anyone recommend a nice mouse to get? Im looking to spend a decent amount of money so don't hold back! I was considering maybe even a gaming mouse, Im the type of person that gets the toys with all the bells and whistles :)
Also is it possible to assign any of the trackpad features to certain buttons on the mouse? Like the 3 and 4 finger swype gestures?
Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
thanks guys,
~JMurr

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Logitech Mice are good, i have found. i have only ever found Microsoft mice to give me sharp RSI pains.

if you want all the fancy touchpad gestures, the apple magic mouse is the only one i know is supported under OSX.

(Pro tools for the win)

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a nice mouse to get?

Mice are a very personal choice.

I like Logitech and Microsoft mice.

Here is an excellent deal on a premium cordless/optical mouse that will last about 6 months on a pair of AA batteries:

Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2000
about $15 which includes shipping
Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2000-Sterling Grey (Microsoft ACC13061) : surpluscomputers.com

I have one of these attached to one of my Macs. It works perfectly and it is dead reliable. It has a nice ergonomic feel in my hand; not as nice as some of the Logitech mice that I have, but still good.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.