Time Capsule Alternative

E

EightmanVT

So - I've read quite a bit regarding the various backup approaches and methodologies and have settled on a candidate approach for myself. I'd like to have a 2 TB Firewire 800 drive that I will use to clone my drive periodically using Super Duper or something similar (probably no more than weekly although that may change). I'm also considering using a second drive in conjunction with Time Machine - but I'd like to do this in a similar fashion as what the Time Capsule offers - meaning wirelessly but I don't like most of what I read about the Time Capsule. CNET was pretty scathing in its review.

I'm not a networking expert by any stretch, although willing to beef up my knowledge as needed to implement this. I currently use a Verizon FIOS wireless router (probably only 802.11G...believe we got it before 'n' routers were shipping)... Curious to know if others on here use a similar setup or if you have alternate suggestions. I'm wondering if I should invest in a faster 'n' router to use at home along with the drive.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
Well there's no legitimate way to use Time Machine over NAS unless you use Apple's Time Capsule. I believe there are a few 'janky' work-arounds but nothing that is really that appealing, IMO.

The Time Capsule is actually an airport router and attatched storage built together, so it would server as your router. Personally, since I don't have any "super sensitive data" I just use a portable Seagate hard drive.

I would say, if you don't want to buy a Time Capsule, stick with your original idea to buy a Firewire drive to do your backups.

OP
E

EightmanVT

That's a bummer! True - I don't need to do it wirelessly - but the idea of having that done in the background - to an NAS drive located in my basement (or elsewhere) was appealing. I prefer to use my MBP with only a single wired connection - The power cord. I guess maybe I'll have to come to terms with the thought of keeping a drive up near the couch where I tend to use this most so I can get periodic TM backups.

Reading this review seemed to imply that I could use TM in the manner I had described - but perhaps I misinterpreted. I've been reading so much since I got this MBP - I'm seriously considering heading to the eye doc.

Apple Time Capsule Review (500GB, Winter 2009) - Network Storage - CNET Reviews

OP
E

EightmanVT

I know I'm just continuing to show how much I don't know....but that's what noobs do - but why wouldn't a NAS drive be mountable from the MBP over the network? And if so - why can't Time Machine just be pointed to that drive for its backups? I guess I'm missing why the only combo that will work is either Time Capsule, or Airport Extreme + a TM compatible drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
Actually there are NAS devises by both Qnap and Synology that have Time Machine capabilities build it. I am leaning to words a Synology Nas myself just saving up and deciding what size i want to go with New egg carries both of them

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24"
That's a bummer! True - I don't need to do it wirelessly - but the idea of having that done in the background - to an NAS drive located in my basement (or elsewhere) was appealing. I prefer to use my MBP with only a single wired connection - The power cord. I guess maybe I'll have to come to terms with the thought of keeping a drive up near the couch where I tend to use this most so I can get periodic TM backups.

Reading this review seemed to imply that I could use TM in the manner I had described - but perhaps I misinterpreted. I've been reading so much since I got this MBP - I'm seriously considering heading to the eye doc.

Apple Time Capsule Review (500GB, Winter 2009) - Network Storage - CNET Reviews

8man,

we think alike dude. I don't know why in **** Apple has not done this approach yet. What is the purpose of a laptop if you must have it hooked up with miles of wires coming out of it.

I have searched desperately for a solution. I hope someone at Apple pulls their head out of their colon and upgrade that Time Capsule POS to allow the end user to used it like we want to. When and if they do such thing, then the rest of the industry pack will be "forced" to follow.

Until then, my qnap nas might end up getting the task to be the MPB's TM drive. Something I really do not want to do. :Not-Amused::Not-Amused::Not-Amused::Not-Amused::Not-Amused::Not-Amused::Not-Amused::Not-Amused:

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24"
I know I'm just continuing to show how much I don't know....but that's what noobs do - but why wouldn't a NAS drive be mountable from the MBP over the network? And if so - why can't Time Machine just be pointed to that drive for its backups? I guess I'm missing why the only combo that will work is either Time Capsule, or Airport Extreme + a TM compatible drive?

I do not follow what you are saying here...Do you have a NAS? Which one? My Qnap TS419P+ has TM service, but what I do not like is that I must use the drive space in the internal drives. I do not want this. What I want is to connect an external drive via usb to the nas and use that drive for TM backups from my MBP laptop unit while leaving the internal HD's capacity for data only. I tested the TM service and the share that it creates is discoverable wirelessly on my MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
I do not follow what you are saying here...Do you have a NAS? Which one? My Qnap TS419P+ has TM service, but what I do not like is that I must use the drive space in the internal drives. I do not want this. What I want is to connect an external drive via usb to the nas and use that drive for TM backups from my MBP laptop unit while leaving the internal HD's capacity for data only. I tested the TM service and the share that it creates is discoverable wirelessly on my MBP.

I believe your Qnap has an external usb or even a esata port. I think if you hook a drive to that you can then assign the time machine location to the external if you like.

OP
E

EightmanVT

No - I don't have one - but was looking to set up one - to function in a similar fashion as Time Capsule - but using components of my own choosing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24"
Rami,

thanks for the reply. You are correct about my Qnap but unfortunately I can not find the drive on the network. I am still learning this NAS... I will have to try with another external that I have and see what happens....

I can see the external drive under the admin page but not on the network...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
There are a myriad of ways to use NAS for Time Machine. Synology as stated has Time Machine support. You can also build a box using freenas and use that as your backup device. My buddy setup a raid 5 with backup disks for a total of 10TB as his backup and storage box. Here is the setup
harryd: Mac OSX Time Machine and FreeNAS 0.7

Basically you are looking for

EDIT: It's like I died while typing. I just went to bed as I had a long day skiing then watching football and gorging on food that is bad for you. What you are looking for is AFP that is time machine supported. I believe the latest is 3.3. Usually when you go looking you will find that they say they support Time Machine - which means they support some level of AFP.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Filing_Protocol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
I believe that if you turn on the Bonjour service on the nas it will all show up under finder.

I actually just switched to mac a little while back but if i remember correctly i changes my NAS to a .local domain and I can ping it by name now. since that is the default I believe in the mac os.

Rami,

thanks for the reply. You are correct about my Qnap but unfortunately I can not find the drive on the network. I am still learning this NAS... I will have to try with another external that I have and see what happens....

I can see the external drive under the admin page but not on the network...

Reaction score
8man,

we think alike dude. I don't know why in **** Apple has not done this approach yet. What is the purpose of a laptop if you must have it hooked up with miles of wires coming out of it.

I have searched desperately for a solution. I hope someone at Apple pulls their head out of their colon and upgrade that Time Capsule POS to allow the end user to used it like we want to. When and if they do such thing, then the rest of the industry pack will be "forced" to follow.

While doing my own research I read this line at Mac 101:

"Time Machine can’t back up to an external disk that's connected to an AirPort Extreme, or to an iPod, iDisk, or a disk formatted for Microsoft Windows (NTFS or FAT format)."

So, no built-in option to use Time Machine with an externally connected HDD. And...from Apple's perspective that would be a direct competitor to Time Capsule so they no longer offer it (I read that it was available in 2008 and subsequently removed when Time Capsule came around...purely business).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There used to be a command line writes
Code:
defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1
But I don't believe that is necessary anymore. You just need to format your HD as HFS+ (I use journaled) then plug it into the back of the Airport Extreme. I have a friend setup this way with a raid 1 La Cie dual usb drive.

I also believe you are quoting the article wrong
Mac 101: Time Machine
Note: Every available disk that can be used to store backups is listed. If you’ve partitioned a disk, the available partitions are listed. Time Machine can’t back up to an external disk that's connected to an AirPort Extreme, or to an iPod, iDisk, or a disk formatted for Microsoft Windows (NTFS or FAT format). If you select an NTFS or FAT-formatted disk, Time Machine prompts you to reformat the disk. Choose a different disk or reformat the disk in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format. Because reformatting erases any files on the disk, only do this if you no longer need the files or if you have copies of them on a different disk.
If you re-read this - what is says is that Time Machine needs HFS+ - and if you connect a non-HFS+ disk directly or to an Airport Extreme that is formatted for windows - it won't work for Time Machine - so as I said - format it as HFS+ and you can use an AE/USB drive for wireless backup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24"
But still...TM can't back up to an external drive connected to airport or any nas. That is horse ****.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No - I'm saying that it can. I have it setup where it backs up to an external drive connected to an Airport Extreme - with the one caveat that the drive is HFS+ formatted. It absolutely 100% backs up to the Airport Extreme with a USB Hard drive connected. I have personally set that up and my friend is backing up to it. It is a La Cie USB hard drive setup as a raid 1 - connected to an Airport Extreme.

It also backs up to a freenas box - as my other friend has that setup. It is a custom built NAS box that runs freenas.

I don't know how to say it any clearer. As long as your NAS supports AFP (I believe 3.2 or later) it should be seen as a possible backup drive.

Reaction score
But still...TM can't back up to an external drive connected to airport or any nas. That is horse ****.

Just connected a Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ to Airport Extreme and Time Machine worked without a hitch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
? about my external possibly working with AE via USB

I have a 1TB Seagate FreeAgent Desk.. that is the only identifying info i have on it. Bought it a lil over a year ago.

According to this:
Using Seagate drives with Time Machine (MacOS)
am I correct in thinking that if i transfer the data off and format it in MacOS extended (HFS+).. is that not what was mentioned above?.. that it should work with TM..

now the info on my external is described on the link.. do you think it is already formatted?

I do not have my Mac yet, with in the next month.
thanks
TT

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.