any DJs here? need help deciding on which MBP to get..

Reaction score
idk if i should get the 15" i5 Pro or the 15" i7 Pro? there is a considerably big price difference ($1800 and $2200 i believe), so i just wanted to know which you guys could recommend if i wanted a Macbook Pro for DJ'ing, and storing tons of music and maybe videos and for everyday uses such as schoolwork and web browsing.. i don't think i will really be playing any games on it. only major program i would be running on it is Serato for the DJ aspect of it.

i hear the i7 is one of, if not THE best processor out right now, is it worth the extra cash though?

making the switch from a PC to a Pro btw, and i am definitely a beginner DJ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Depending on what audio software you end up using (Ableton Live is probably about the best DJ software out there right now), screen real estate is pretty important. The 1080p screen on the 17" would be really nice, but failing that you'll want at least the 1680x1050 screen on a 15" (which I have). Also, you might want to get the matte screen, as reflections are an issue at live events.

The i7 is the best CPU, no doubt, but more important than that is RAM and HDD speed when it comes to audio. An i5 could easily cope with anything audio related, so if you have a choice between an i7 or getting an SSD or the 7200rpm drive, go for the latter. The i7 is wasted with the standard HDD.

OP
B
Reaction score
i appreciate the help! so would you go for the $1,999 2.53GHz 15" i5 MBP with adding 7200RPM for an additional $50 and a Anti Glare Screen for $150 , over the $2,199 2.66GHz 15" i7 MBP?

i would also like to add 8GB RAM for an additional $400 but **** these things get expensive :[ i never invested this much in a laptop before, my last laptop i saved up $1,000 for (really standard HP laptop, wasn't even interested DJ'ing at the time) and after a year or so (warranty was up already) i spilled a glass of water over it and it was finished.

that's when i fell in love with the MBP, i'm one of those people who go to the Apple store and drool over playing with all the MBP. i finally want my own.. i just don't know if i actually NEED all this stuff (besides for being able to say "omg i have such a high-tech computer"). i barely make $11 an hour working in a deli haha this is a big investment... and i also feel i should add Apples Protection Plan for another additional $349 apparently... whew

OP
B
Reaction score
perys 293

oh and is there a big difference between a Serial ATA Drive and a Solid State Drive? thanks again

Reaction score
I DJ at clubs on my college campus. I have a 15" MBP w/ 4 GB Ram, and a 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo and I run just fine and dandy

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
there is a pretty huge difference between a Magnetic drive and a solid state drive. SSDs have no moving parts, and run using flash memory. so booting, r/w speeds, application loading/switching are all dramatically increased.

however they are EXPENSIVE, and you get less storage than with a magnetic drive (because they are newer technology, kinda like why a Blu-Ray is more expensive than a DVD.) you would have to carry around a bunch of externals to hold your music on, as DJs have large collections usually.

you will do just fine with a magnetic hard drive. i produce music, and my entry level MBP can do it just fine.

i7's are nice, but do you really need one? save some money, the entry levels are still good machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
I DJ at clubs on my college campus. I have a 15" MBP w/ 4 GB Ram, and a 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo and I run just fine and dandy

Got the same '07 MBP set up running Logic Pro 9, Live 8, NI Traktor, Recycle and Guru. All works great with no problem with my M-Audio FireWire Audiophile interface for DJing and recording into DAW's.

Reaction score
Got the same '07 MBP set up running Logic Pro 9, Live 8, NI Traktor, Recycle and Guru. All works great with no problem with my M-Audio FireWire Audiophile interface for DJing and recording into DAW's.

@JUKE197r
Im in newbie need link for free software i can use in my college radio station,for live presentations

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
@JUKE197r
Im in newbie need link for free software i can use in my college radio station,for live presentations

google "Mixxx"

Reaction score
I use the 15" w/the i5 with the Vestex Spin. Works great and comes with a copy of Djay. Download the trial version to check it out.

OP
B
Reaction score
so it seems i should be just fine with 4GB of ram and an i5 for DJ'ing... thanks guys! can't wait to get my MacBook Pro, first week of March right before my birthday :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.