Account when opening macbook

Reaction score
I recently had to replace my hard drive on my macbook. Fortunately I had everything saved on a time machine. Probably due to my complete inability to do anything correctly, before I could even get on my macbook to restore everything, I had to start a new account. Now every time I turn on my computer it automatically goes to that new account, which I then have to log out of and then log into my regular account. My regular account has also lost admin privileges and immediately deletes my trash (which doesn't happen on the other account -may be a separate issue?). I went to system preferences and tried to delete the new account or at least change which one opens at the start, but I it is all light gray and I am not able to delete that account. Can someone please tell me how to delete that new admin account I had to make just to have access to my computer? Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
Are you looking at the Padlock at the bottom, left-hand corner of the window? If it is 'locked' then you need to click it to unlock it, which will allow you to make changes.

From there just adjust your account settings how you see fit and you should be good to go.

C

chas_m

What ThePope said, with the clarification that once the padlock (which will want your admin password) is unlocked, you set your "old" account back to admin status, then close the system preference panel, log out of your "new" account, log into your "old" account, open system preferences -> Accounts, and delete the "new" account (assuming there's nothing there you want to save).

Then you'll only have one admin account -- your "old" one -- and everything should be good to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
Thanks for clarifying this for me chas_m. I was on the road and just stopped at Wal-mart to go to the bathroom and posted while I was filling up for gas lol.

Do what chas_m said, then you should be good to go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.