• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Finally a good use for spam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
*Finally a good use for spam*

8thark, im not going not agree with you on this one. Yes it was good that it got the bomber, BUT what if she had been on her way through densely populated area or even just sitting where there where lost of people.
It would have been devastating to say the least.
So all in all it got her, but it could have been so much more gruesome if they had not have been in the safe house . . . .

SB's might think twice about using phones in the future ??? Thats the only good thing i can see that came about due to spam

Cheers

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Yes maybe maybe as you say which is not very good at all. But what if the bomber for to plant the bomb exactly where they wanted to. That'd be almost guaranteed death and destruction.

I see your point. But is the risk worth it compared to the bomber completing her mission fully?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
But is the risk worth it compared to the bomber completing her mission fully?

And what risk are we talking about ???

Yea it is sort of a *double edged sword* scenario isnt it ??

I can see your point as well, but in my thinking, the fact that the device wasnt in the intended [lace at the time of the explosion, means she still had to place it. Us common folk and even the Authorities on these things would have no idea on where it was meant to go off.

There are so many variables to this particular scenario, but in the end its good she cant reign down terror anymore. Sadly there is probably another 2 to take her place :(

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Risk as in is stopping her earlier this way going to save more lives then letting her complete the mission with it? A question I don't think we know the answer to.

And to the rest of your post I agree 100%.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I thought about the scenario for a whole 20 seconds (the time it took me to read your posts) and came to the conclusion that I'm with Tatoo'd here. My first reaction was the same as yours, The8thark, however... let's say that the suicide bomber decided that it just wasn't in her to go through with the plan. Apply that to any suicide bomber's mentality now. So she/he may have wanted to change their minds, but freeking spam from the stupid phone company winds up making that person go through with it, after all. Not cool.

I always call customer service and explicitly tell them to make sure I never get any promotional texts or spam from their company. They always comply and are courteous and polite about it. If I ever do get spam as such, I log the time(s). After a while, I call back and let them know (though they already have our first conversation logged, as I tell them to make sure all of it is in the computer notes) that the spam is bordering on harassment. If it escalates further, they know that I have enough in my arsenal for some form of compensation, and they don't really want that, so it works. At least, that's how it has gone for me, after my one poor experience with such a thing.

I'll let the company name slide (it's not my current one). Anyway, I'm glad that worthless piece of garbage is no longer a threat, but of course it won't matter. She is now a martyr to all the other brainless trash out there.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Regardless of what happened, or how it happened, a planned attack got stopped. That's what people should be focusing on, and for that, I agree completely with, "Finally a good use for spam." You can spin this to your liking, but what happened, has happened.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
heh... I hope the message was something ironic.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.