Can't Get Boot Camp to Work with New iMac

Reaction score
I need help. I have two new iMacs. I finally got Boot Camp to work on one with Windows 7, but the other one is being a pain.

I first installed Parallels but realized later I wanted Boot Camp instead. So I deleted (I think???) Parallels, but now I can't get BC to do it's thing since it thinks I don't have enough hard drive space.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have a 1 TB drive that has about 200 GB used according to Disk Utility. It's set up with just the one 1 TB partition. It shows I have 800 GB free and only one partion.

But when I open up Bootcamp it says I only have 15GB free and Boot Camp can't go on any further since there supposedly isn't enough space.

I reinstalled the OSX and ran the repair stuff and it fixed some minor volume problems, but when I come back into OSX it still says the exact same things:

1. One partition, 800 GB free of 1 TB
2. Boot camp says I can't do it beause only 15GB is free

Grrrr! The other iMac worked ok after I found an update on the Apple site, but I can't even get this far on this iMac.

Please help! I will love you for this whole month!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to appropriate forum.

It sounds like the partition table may be broken. First, let's try to reset the PRAM/NVRAM. See this LINK. If that doesn't work, boot the machine with your Leopard or Snow Leopard DVD (whichever you have) and do a verify and repair from Disk Utility. Make sure you're booted from the DVD, not the hard drive.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the extra insight. I did that and I'm still in the same spot. I ran the Disk Utility from the DVD (Snow Leopard) and verified and repaired. I got some errors and then it said that Disk Utility corrected it. But Boot Camp still says there's only 15GB available on the HD but there's really 800GB.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you tried erasing the drive, and formatting it again? (not just a reinstall of the OS) If that doesn't work, the drive may be defective. There is absolutely no reason that Boot Camp should be seeing that drive as only having 15 GB free space except if something is messed up on the drive. Disk Utility is not the best at fixing partition errors. For that you need specialized software which will cost as much as a new drive.

Before formatting the drive make sure you back everything up first.

OP
B
Reaction score
Ok, after many attempts I got that to work.

I just reformated (erased) the entire drive. Reinstalled OSX and had a clean slate to work from.

It worked great from there.

Thanks for your help.

For anyone else having the same problem on an iMac (10,1) be sure to track down the extra drivers you'll need for the install. They're on the Apple site. I coudln't get it to install without those. Can't remember where I got them otherwise I'd post the link...

Do a Google search for something like "27 imac boot camp black screen" and it should come up... sorry I couldn't be more helpful... I'm just glad everything's working now.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, great. Glad you got it sorted out. Just be sure to keep up with your backup strategy - in case. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.