• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Toast question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro. 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. 4GB RAM.
i've been trying to burn four movies that i have on my HD. all the movies were .mpg so placing them into to Toast was no problem.....encoded them....fine, but when writing the movies to the DVD+R, it stopped with about 30 seconds to go before finishing. so i figured to just let Toast run and "work out the kinks" itself....unfortunately, it has been doing so for the past TWO DAYS :confused: ....any suggestions?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I am not sure what the answer is here. I have not used DVD+Rs, so I don't know. Have you used a DVD-R and get the same problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
have you tried it again. Toast did that to me once and its not done it since (touch wood!)

OP
munkism
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
this is like the second time this has happened to me. i haven't used DVD-R before, but i've had like 95% success (with the exception of this) with DVD+R. i'm still trying to figure out what is best to use as far as .mpg or .mov. when making DVDs, .mpg seem to be the best, but making VCD, .mov seems to be the best, so, i don't know. i don't have iDVD5 (that seems to be the "magic tool" for DVD creation for macs). but i've aborted the project, so it's back to the drawing boards for me......any feedback is greatly appreciated. thanx.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
I don't think that the problem is the DVD+R...looks more like an encoding problem.
Do you use the latest Toast version (6.1, I think)?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Toast 6.1 is the latest version as far as I know of. I am still running 6.0.9, forgot why I did not move up to 6.1. I know something was changed, but not sure what.

OP
munkism
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i'm still using toast 6.0....would u think its advisable to update to the latest version? i've heard various things about 6.1 also (can't put my finger on any of them at the moment), but i think that was my reason, too, for staying at 6.0.

G

gmoore66

Try creating a Disk Image before burning

munkism said:
i've been trying to burn four movies that i have on my HD. all the movies were .mpg so placing them into to Toast was no problem.....encoded them....fine, but when writing the movies to the DVD+R, it stopped with about 30 seconds to go before finishing. so i figured to just let Toast run and "work out the kinks" itself....unfortunately, it has been doing so for the past TWO DAYS :confused: ....any suggestions?

I used Toast last night to burn a DVD I'd ripped and wasted a couple of DVDs before I decided to create a Disk Image first (then burn the image later).

However, when I did this (using Disk Utility), that too failed, so Toast wasn't the problem. The problem was one of the VOB files on my hard-drive - don't know what's wrong with it but that's another issue.

You can also create a Disk Image in Toast (at least in V6.1).

You see, if you create a Disk Image, then you're nine-tenths of the way there. You can then burn your disk image later (but make sure nothing else is running at the same time - except the system things).

I suspect that these Macs (especially the slower ones) don't like doing too much at once, and if there's any conversion to do at the same time as burning DVDs, then you get a problem (at least I do with my 800MHz G4). But when you create a Disk image, there's no burning (it's all done on your hard-drive), then when it comes to burning later, there's nothing else for the computer to concentrate on except the burn.

Hope this helps,

Gary

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.