Help! agp44.sys problem

Reaction score
Hello -

I'm having trouble with my bootcamp partition on which i have XP installed. within XP I installed an update for my Nvidia Video Driver. After rebooting, windows would not boot. Attempting to boot in safe mode, in stalls at agp440.sys. After lookgin around on the web, I have foudn this is somewhat a common problem for XP users after installing new drivers.

I Can;t figure out how to fix the problem. I tried following these instructions:

Problems when Windows XP tries to load the Agp440.sys service

but the process did not follow as described. Firstly, it did not ask me to press a numebr to designate the windows inslattation to work on, it just proceeded directly to the prompt line and read c : \ >

it would then not work when i tried to run the command listsvc from this prompt.

I'm really runnign out of ideas. all i need to do i sget into windows and roll back my drivers! I woudl prefer to avoid having to reinstall the partition entirely.

is there any way to can disable or make the changes you need to the windows partition form OSX??

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try again. You're not following the instructions as given. You need to enter the recovery console and disable the agp440.sys driver. If that's too complicated for you to follow, you may be able to delete the driver from the OS X side if your Windows partition is formatted to FAT-32. Delete the agp440.sys driver and then boot Windows in SAFE mode and roll back the video driver.

If all else fails, boot back to OS X, use the Boot Camp assistant to remove the Windows partition and start over.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.