Trouble with wireless adapter

Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone offer any advice, please?

I've just bought a LogicPro LP-54G-MAC USB adapter, to access Sky Broadband on a G3 iMac, running OS 10.3. I installed the driver but I can't get the computer to connect to the router.

When I try to configure the settings, I'm asked for the server address, account name and password; the latter two I've got but I can't find the server address. I called the Sky helpline, who were about as much use as a chocolate teapot. All they kept telling me to do was "purchase a standard adapter".

Has anyone run into this before and, if so, can you help, please?

Thanks
Matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Most ISP's are not Mac knowledgable, and even less with a G3. Hate to break the news but have never got a USB adapter to work yet with either a G3 or G4.

OP
Q
Reaction score
Alternatives?

Thanks for the welcome, Harry.

Can you suggest anything as an alternative to a USB adapter?

Cheers
Matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.2Ghz Quad-Core, Mid 2010
I'm not sure if I'm reading this right but, have you been able to connect to the Router before with any other machine?
Have you tried hooking up to the Router with the ethernet cable and then just copy the IP server address from there? The server IP address should be listed in the Router manual in order to access it.
Make sure you have updated the LogicPro drivers also with the latest ones?
Instead of a USB adapter you should go with an Ethernet Adapter instead if you can't get it working or if you can't find the Apple one.
Kinda like this one:
Belkin Wireless G Gaming Adapter Xbox Playstation Gamecube Add Device Wireless Network 802.11g F5D7330: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

You use this the same way you would set up any other wireless device only via the Ethernet.
It would be a lot faster when transferring files or streaming music, etc, using the Ethernet then using your USB, as I'm guessing you have the slower USB 1.1?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You can't expect your ISP to support every type of USB adapter. You'd be better off contacting the manufacturer of the USB device.

But.... if you post a screen shot of the adapter software I might be able to help

OP
Q
Reaction score
Thanks all

Thanks Guys

Harry, I think you're right; the best bet is probably to put in the Airport card.

I appreciate everyone's advice and so will the owner of the offending USB adapter when I tell her. :D

Matt

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.