• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What should i do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: MacBook Model Identifier: MacBook3,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Sp
Hey all,
I have been a member of the forums for awhile and now would like to get involved more and get better with macs and computers.
What do I need to do to become better at helping people with mac problems. Any online training (FREE) or any courses free I can take to get better at helping with mac related problems.
Thanks nicecrew

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'd say just keep reading the threads as they "pop up"...or read a lot of the "inactive threads"...and you can pick up a TON of information.

Actual user problems & solutions are the kind of things we see & discuss here everyday on Mac-Forums. This is the sort of stuff they don't or can't always write about in books...or teach in class's. And because things are always changing with new computer models & OS releases...you'll hear about it here first (on the internet).;)

Years & years & years of experience are also a great teacher!;)

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: MacBook Model Identifier: MacBook3,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Sp
Thanks, I will stay active on the forum and hopefully pick up some stuff!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
Do you have a strong background for technology?

By that, I mean when you have problems with something...do you usually fix it yourself, or do you go to the internet for the solution or someone else? Better yet, when others have problems do they come to you?

That's a few questions you can ask yourself just to get you on the right track of where you stand. I started taking computers apart in 3rd grade and i've been into them as well as many different things(such as xbox modding, ipod repair, etc) every day since then. Just as pigoo3 stated, sometimes you need to know how to fix the "unexplained" that can't be found in text books and reading.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I usually fix it myself, but if I am really having trouble I ask.
I have an xbox that I use pretty much whenever I am not playing sports. Have an ipod too, but i just listen to music. I have done some gaming on mac with Americas Army 2.5. Its actually a hard game to setup, if you dont properly install it you need to update something called punk buster manually and etc. I am actually applying to be a moderator on the forums and IRC to help out with mac game support. As for taking classes, at my school you have computers K-12, if you want. I really like computers so I take those classes. But, we use PCs :(. those classes are pretty simple though, just messing with microsoft office and etc,
So I guess I have computer experience. I just wanna get as much knowledge as I can cause i like computers a lot. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
Just keep at it. Stick with forums like this and since you're into the games maybe a gaming site. The rest just comes with experience. I just did an internship at old high school(graduated 2010) and it was really great. Work on friends computers for free because it's fun, help out in a computer class when you have free time if you can. If you can find a local/small computer repair business that you could try to get a job at, that wouldn't be too bad either.

It will definitely come with time. I would say my biggest boost into computers was when I started modding xboxes back in 5th grade and I made a business out of it online for about 4 years strong. Just keep reading, keep messing, and keep breaking things so you can fix them ;)

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aight man, ill keep peeking round on the forums.
One question though, I have heard that you can build your own PC by buying a graphics card, motherboard, monitor, custom mouse, and etc. CAn you do the same for a mac?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved.

OP: What does this have to do with "Community Suggestions and Feedback"? Read forum descriptions before posting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.