• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Is it Possible?!

Reaction score
I know this is probably discussed all over the place..
Is it possible to convice a PC guy that Macs are better?
If so HOW!?
Macs last longer, don't get viruses, and a lot of the time are faster.
Yes PCs can excel in some areas, but Macs are just way more reliable and can combat even the best PCs.

just wondering how you guys argue with a PC guy
-Craig

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Welcome.

I suggest you search for a post of TattooedMac and read the last sentence in his signature. :)

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: MacBook Model Identifier: MacBook3,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Sp
Well, I really do not want to discourage you but no computer is going to get less viruses just because it is a mac or a PC.

If I was trying to persuade a friend to purchase a mac I would tell him this:
(If he is in love with windows)
 Macs can run windows using parallels or bootcamp
 Lots of more apps and assistants
 User friendly
 Software and macintosh computers in general are making a lot of progress

Honestly though, I like my mac... but PC is still the standard for many things. If he plays video games on his PC there is no way to persuade him Alienware PCs have way better graphics speeds and etc. Its a hard argument... but good luck!
nicecrew

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Welcome.

I suggest you search for a post of TattooedMac and read the last sentence in his signature. :)

Ditto...do a search. Been discussed to many times to count.:)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Well, I really do not want to discourage you but no computer is going to get less viruses just because it is a mac or a PC.

If I was trying to persuade a friend to purchase a mac I would tell him this:
(If he is in love with windows)
 Macs can run windows using parallels or bootcamp
 Lots of more apps and assistants
 User friendly
 Software and macintosh computers in general are making a lot of progress

Honestly though, I like my mac... but PC is still the standard for many things. If he plays video games on his PC there is no way to persuade him Alienware PCs have way better graphics speeds and etc. Its a hard argument... but good luck!
nicecrew

Its not really to persuade him to buy one, its he says PCs are better haha. He games on a custom built PC. I say yeah of course it will out do a Mac, because Macs aren't built solely for gaming, if at all.
I believe they are getting bettter for gaming correct?

I'm just stating Macs are more reliable in a lot of areas.
Macs do not get viruses like PCs. PCs are magnets to spyware, adware, trojans everything!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Its not really to persuade him to buy one, its he says PCs are better haha. He games on a custom built PC. I say yeah of course it will out do a Mac, because Macs aren't built solely for gaming, if at all.
I believe they are getting bettter for gaming correct?

I'm just stating Macs are more reliable in a lot of areas.
Macs do not get viruses like PCs. PCs are magnets to spyware, adware, trojans everything!

This just sounds like the same discussion/argument between a Macintosh & Windows computer user that's been going on since 1984!:(

Believe it or not...even though both platforms have changed tremendously since 1984...the same exact points of the argument remain the same...whether they still hold true or not.

If you want to convince a hard-core long-time Windows user...you need data to prove it.

Looking at it from the Windows user point of view:

- Mac's for the most part are more expensive initially to purchase
- Gaming software for Windows computers are generally less expensive...and many titles never even get ported to the Mac.
- parts are more widely available for Windows computers (desktops especially)
- parts for Windows computers are generally less expensive
- Windows desktop computers are MUCH more upgradeable & repairable

So from a "data" perspective...everything I mentioned above is in favor of the Windows computer.

Mac's generally tend to be:

- more stylish (if that's important to someone)
- Apple as a company tends to be more innovative (then the Windows world copies everything):(
- it is felt Mac's are easier to maintain in the long term
- it is felt Mac owners tend to use their computers for more years before upgrading
- it is felt that Mac's are less prone to virus's. malware, etc.
- it is felt (among many Mac users familiar with the Windows OS)...that the Mac OS is easier to use.
- it is felt that Mac's "just work" (less headaches with software & hardware incompatibilities)

I can almost guarantee you...because many of the positive points of Macintosh computers are more "touchy feely"...it's tough to convince the average long time Windows user that Mac's are better.

It's something that needs to be experienced rather than convinced.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

Although the OP already addressed this... What? Since there are many known Windows viruses, and none for Mac OS X, I think there might be a greater chance of a Windows PC getting infected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Depending on ones job position it is also better to be diversified so the more experience
you have with different OS's it ups your qualifications.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Short answer?

Don't bother. There be none so blind as those that will not see.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
That's like trying to preach religion, or politics to someone and expect them to change sides or their beliefs.

Once they are set in their ways, your preaching falls on deaf ears.

Reaction score
If so HOW!?
Yes PCs can excel in some areas, but Macs are just way more reliable and can combat even the best PCs.

Define "last longer"? The terms "Mac" and "PC" get thrown around in ambiguous contexts as your average layman doesn't see the separation between software and hardware. PCs don't get viruses, WINDOWS gets viruses. Mac OS X is great, and Apple's user base could rise drastically if they weren't so set on chaining the hardware and software together. Personally I've switched to the GNU/Linux side, so I'm biased against Apple and Microsoft, plus I don't get viruses either! If we're talking hardware, I'd much rather buy the equivalent parts on eBay or NewEgg for much less, and build/upgrade to my heart's content without forking out $2000 for the newest, whitest and shiniest Mac every few years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP 16gb ram, 2.3 i7, 500 gb hd, 750 gb hd
nicecrew

Alienwares are also, well, Alienwares. I'm speaking from personal experience with multiple hardware failures and multiple other owners with the same unresolved issues. Alienware sent me a replacement last week after roughly 8 months of **** in which I lived in an iPad. DH has it now; it's already overheated playing Two Worlds, doesn't like to wake up if it sleeps, etc.

Me? I'm on my iMac playing WoW and Guild Wars (via Wineskin) without issue. He's got an i5 and 8 GB of RAM, and I have a base 21" iMac. Mine accomplishes almost everything faster. In short, I have 3 PCs around here to remind me why I love OS X.

Alienware is hype and marketing on what they used to be prior to Dell acquiring them. Sad, really. I only had one because Dell replaced an old e1705 with "equivalent or better" via accident warranty and I got sent an Alienware.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
if he likes PCs why does he have to be converted? just let him use what he wants to use!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I personally don"t have anything against PCs. I just don"t like windows. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Isnt a Mac a pc? so shouldnt it be Mac vs. Windows based systems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Isnt a Mac a pc? so shouldnt it be Mac vs. Windows based systems

^That's the way I usually try to phrase things, for that very reason.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
if he likes PCs why does he have to be converted? just let him use what he wants to use!

Exactly.

If my friends ask why I have it, I tell them what I like about it. But I don't get into the argument, because it's like trying to convince a Pepsi drinker that Coke is better - or a Chevy fan that he should be driving a Ford.

To each his own, live and let live. It's been beaten to death.

Reaction score
People should certainly use what they like. If what you're using makes you happy, there's no reason to look elsewhere! :) That being said, I think the only way to "convert" anyone, or convince them of one being better than the other, is to just have them sit down and use it for a day or two. If after using any of them, one isn't converted from whatever they originally liked, they're not going to be. I have nothing at all against Windows, or Linux. They simply can't come close to doing what I need to do, (well, to be fair Windows can, but it's a giant headache to me)

Some people love the way Windows works. Some people love the way Linux works. Some people love the way Apple works. Personally, I love the ability to just fire my computer up and get to work (or play!). Even in the very worst case if I lose the whole OS, reinstalling it and moving all my files and programs back is a total breeze. Everyone has their own opinion and feelings :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
If so HOW!?

just wondering how you guys argue with a PC guy
-Craig

the exact same could be said from a PC persons point of view to a mac person.
you can a drag a horse to water, but you cant make it drink. and Personally, macs dont seem to last longer in terms of use. if a windows based machine gets old, you upgrade it. viruses? format and reinstall, along with a decent anti virus and common sense pro edition.
and "reliable" is depending on your needs.
this thread though, makes me interested, in a somewhat pyromaniac sort of way...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.