Apple Mail

Reaction score
Hi, could I get some advice please. I'm a newbie MacBook Pro user of a coupla months and I've been an idiot and deleted one of my mailboxes by mistake. I was in Mail/Preferences/Accounts and hit the - key at the bottom and the account went but I need the mail from it. The mails haven't been moved to trash they have simply disappeared with the account.
Any wise words to help me recover the mail would be much appreciated. :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
Can you give us a little more information? Which mail service are you using?

If I'm understanding you correctly, I believe you just removed your mail service from your Accounts list. Just click the + again and re-add your account back and your mail should reappear. Please let me know if that helped or not!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
If you have deleted an account, then all associated emails were deleted at the same time, as far as I know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
For future reference, go ahead and hit the Lock at the bottom of such sensitive areas that way you don't accidentally change something so important.

Reaction score
If you're using a service like Gmail, your mail is still available on the server. If not, you might be out of luck. But I would strongly believe that your mail is somewhere on a server.

C

chas_m

As yogi says, if the deleted account was a POP account (ie stored its mail on your local hard drive only), then that mail is pretty much gone. It might still be hanging around in /Users/(you)/Library/Mail but don't hold your breath on that.

If, on the other hand, you deleted an IMAP account (GMail, MobileMe), or if the POP account was set up to retain a copy of the email on their server, then relax. Just re-adding the account will get your mail back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.