How to install "Classic" on Intel MBP

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been reading on the web about how to run Classic OS on Intel Macs, but most of the articles are circa 2006.

Does anybody have more current information about how to do this?

I'm studying to get into Dental School and I found my Chemistry book from 2004 that had accompanying CD's that only run in Classic. I'd like to review them for the test.

Also, if Mini VMac, Basilisk, etc., etc. is still the only way to go, can somebody tell me where I can get a copy of the Classic ROM image?

Thanks,

Justin

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Give this a read:

Classic Environment

...the important part is..."Classic is supported on PowerPC-based Macs running versions of Mac OS X up to v10.4 Tiger, but is not supported on v10.5 Leopard and later, nor on Intel-based Macs running any version of Mac OS X."

One easy & inexpensive solution is just buy an older PPC Mac (with OS 10.4 & "Classic" already installed on it)...and you're good to go.:)

HTH,

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Give this a read:

Classic Environment

...the important part is..."Classic is supported on PowerPC-based Macs running versions of Mac OS X up to v10.4 Tiger, but is not supported on v10.5 Leopard and later, nor on Intel-based Macs running any version of Mac OS X."

One easy & inexpensive solution is just buy an older PPC Mac (with OS 10.4 & "Classic" already installed on it)...and you're good to go.:)

HTH,

- Nick

In some of my reading, though, I've seen multiple people state that they've used certain programs/emulation software(s) like SheepShaver and Basilisk to emulate a PowerPC (and thus Classic) on Intel-based Macs.

Am I just reading them wrong?

I guess I could also run a VNC Server on an old(er) Mac and a VNC Client on my MBP, but I really don't want to have to buy an old Mac just to view these CD videos.

I guess I'm finding it hard to believe that there are multiple programs out there like Parallels and VMWare Fusion that will run crappy Windows OS on a Mac...but that there doesn't seem to be even one application that will allow you to run old Mac OS on new Macs.
I would think the former situation would be nearly impossible, and the latter situation would be a no-brainer...but that seems to be reversed.

J.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
In some of my reading, though, I've seen multiple people state that they've used certain programs/emulation software(s) like SheepShaver and Basilisk to emulate a PowerPC (and thus Classic) on Intel-based Macs.

Yeah...you can do it with those programs...but there are some hurdles to clear like having the correct "Roms" an such.

For me since I have some old Powermac's laying around with 10.4 & before on them...this way is just easier. Sometimes you can find an old G3 iMac for free...or buy one for something like $25 bucks. If it already has the OS needed already installed in it...your good!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
I'm in the same boat. I want to use Propellerhead's Rebirth music app on my '07 MBP w/ OS 10.6.6. No such luck with intel.
Guess I'll go with buying an older Mac so it can get used with my other music apps

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.