• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Next gen SONY PSP "NGP" unveiled

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
At what point (time line) does his babbling take a back seat to the actual presentation of this new device? I can't take the yammer!

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
I quite like the look of the PSPhone too.

- Simon

Reaction score
It's looking really good, a PS3 on the go, that's impressive.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Looks like a dual joy stick PSP that is more rounded and sleek. Looks nice...do I want one...? No.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Sign me up! I've been an avid PSP user since its release in 2005. My original 1001 just died (bumped in a bag during a road trip cracked the screen, technically MY fault).

After 5 generations, they're FINALLY adding a second analogue stick!

And yes, PS3 on the go? I'm down. I sold my x360 for a PS3 and never regretted it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
This looks so much like an "ipod/ipad games" competitor it's not funny.

PlayStation Suite = NDS or itunes store (games section)
Social networking capabilities = Facebook, twitter etc on the run. Already been done by many others.
3G, WiFi, GPS, accelerometer, gyroscope = iphone 4 or ipad.
The Quad core Arm Cpu though is something new. But I'm sure others are going to use this class of Cpu's soon.
And the screen is very good. Not as good as the iphone 4's but it's nice.

So overall I think Sony realised just like Nintendo, that Apple is the one to beat in gaming at the moment. And is taking strides to copy and better them.

Will it sell well? If the price is not too steep I think it'll do ok. I don't think it'll break any sales records. But it might to ok if they make it reasonably priced.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Social networking capabilities = Facebook, twitter etc on the run. Already been done by many others.
The Quad core Arm Cpu though is something new. But I'm sure others are going to use this class of Cpu's soon.

So overall I think Sony realised just like Nintendo, that Apple is the one to beat in gaming at the moment. And is taking strides to copy and better them.

Will it sell well? If the price is not too steep I think it'll do ok. I don't think it'll break any sales records. But it might to ok if they make it reasonably priced.

Depends on the titles as well. PSP doesn't really have that great of game selection. I only have 5 games for the PSP, while I have well over 50 for the NDS. >_>"

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
im all for the psp becoming a little bit like the ipod touches, i can never really take them serious as a proper gaming platform, whereas the PSP was always my choice for portable. its bigger than an ipod touch, and smaller than ipad! isnt that just exactly what the market needs? well done sony.

this could turn popular for the people (like me) who just arent really that into iOS.

however the sticks look slightly uncomfortable still. he was holding it very awkwardly in my opinion. and hopefully they'll figure out that memory sticks are really annoying.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I loved my original PSP. Got it before out trip to the British Virgin Islands, and had a blast with it there...got hoooked on it to the point I didn't even sleep.

As for the features it has, such as social networking and such, no one knew they were going to be popular until someone started using it. It just because someone adopts something that is popular doesn't mean they are copying them...as a matter of fact, "social networking," wifi, 3g speeds, and gps have all been done before the iphone came out!

Sony had the accelerometer and gyro before the iphone...check it out yourself.
Did you catch the part that mentions the OLED screen? Regardless of the ppi size, it's going to look INCREDIBLE!

I see very few things related to the iphone...especially since this thing can port PS3 games to play right on it!

I love my iphone, and iOS, but I will also definitely love this just as much

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: MacBook Model Identifier: MacBook3,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Sp
I can't wait for PSP2 to come out, its graphics are supposed to be pretty insane. Im talking pretty high resolutions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!

Dude. PSP has been out for a while. Don't assume that everyone's just now bringing out products and features to compete with your "almighty apple".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Dude. PSP has been out for a while. Don't assume that everyone's just now bringing out products and features to compete with your "almighty apple".

Understatement of the week/month/year/wthe. I'd also like to state (from personal opinion I guess, but I'm sure it is shared) that I find "gaming" on devices which are solely touch screen to be really annoying. Yeah, a gyroscope is cool, and alleviates some of the bother, but nothing compares with real, physical controls. Especially analog sticks!

I also find the games for the iPhone/iPad/iPod to be boring and more of a novelty than anything, and can't take them seriously. None of the iToys would be a threat in the mobile gaming industry, were they meant to be stand alone gaming devices. The reason they're so successful is because they integrate so well with the rest of a person's daily needs in terms of media, networking and such. Not because they're so good as gaming devices. The former is just an added given, and a distraction at the most IMO.

D.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I think nintendo will soon enough be turned into something different than it is now to compete with the game type market that Apple's iOS devices have brought to the table.

I personally don't see anything from nintendo as something other than a device meant for youngsters...sorry if that seems rude to some users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Understatement of the week/month/year/wthe. I'd also like to state (from personal opinion I guess, but I'm sure it is shared) that I find "gaming" on devices which are solely touch screen to be really annoying. Yeah, a gyroscope is cool, and alleviates some of the bother, but nothing compares with real, physical controls. Especially analog sticks!

I also find the games for the iPhone/iPad/iPod to be boring and more of a novelty than anything, and can't take them seriously. None of the iToys would be a threat in the mobile gaming industry, were they meant to be stand alone gaming devices. The reason they're so successful is because they integrate so well with the rest of a person's daily needs in terms of media, networking and such. Not because they're so good as gaming devices. The former is just an added given, and a distraction at the most IMO.

D.

I typically like RPGs and puzzle games on my iPad. It sucks though, because with the constant sliding I eventually feel like I'm ripping my finger from my nail and have to take a break.

Racing games that I've played have so far been terrible with constant on or off throttle and crappy tilt screen steering.

So far, I am liking the Final Fantasy games, Chaos Rings, World of Goo, and the Monkey Island remakes.

But could I get down with something like God of War or Metal Gear solid (Games previous released on the PSP for those that don't know anything about it) on an iPad? No. Not having a physical button to touch when timing, rapid press succesions, or fast combos on multiple buttons are required put the iPad light years behind any portable gaming device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I think nintendo will soon enough be turned into something different than it is now to compete with the game type market that Apple's iOS devices have brought to the table.

I personally don't see anything from nintendo as something other than a device meant for youngsters...sorry if that seems rude to some users.

All the classic Sqaure/Enix games on on the DS, Secret of (insert title here) are also on the DS. A lot of older games that were critically acclaimed when they were new were re-released.

I was at a party where the DJ that went on after the band was using a Nintedo DS (most likely with the Protein app) to DJ his set with. It turned out to be amazing.

There's stuff there if you know where to look.

Reaction score

Nintedno has a strong line up for the 3DS (Resident Evil: Mercenaries / Revelations, Dead or Alive, Zelda OoT remake, Super Street Fighter IV, Metal Gear Solid, Mega Man Legends 3, Splinter Cell and more) thus far. Nintendo has been around for a long time, they don't have to compete with anyone else but themself.

The iPhone games are not that impressive, they're mediocre at best; they're fun for a few weeks/months and then forgotten. I don't recall owning a iPhone game that i bought years ago urging me to play. I agree with Doug b "I also find the games for the iPhone/iPad/iPod to be boring and more of a novelty than anything". I don't see Apple being a threat in gaming today, possibly later LATER down the road, but certainly not today. The iOS games have a long road ahead of them, no serious gamer will game on the iPhone anytime soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP 16gb ram, 2.3 i7, 500 gb hd, 750 gb hd

The last rendition of the PSP was an epic fail, and everyone knows it. My question is now that gaming is so popular on the iOS platform, who in their right mind is going to want to carry an iPhone and a PSP or an iPad and a PSP?

Sony blew it last time and is trying to play catch up to the company that filled the gap (which in this case happens to be Apple).

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
who in their right mind is going to want to carry an iPhone and a PSP or an iPad and a PSP?

Why do you need a "right mind" to carry 2 of those at the same time??
My iphone is in my pocket regardless of what I bring along with it. What does iPad have to do with this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Or how about just an iphone. You can game and make calls on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.