iMac 27" core i7

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum thing.

I have a 27" iMac core i7 and the secondary heat sync get to 194 degrees Fahrenheit it smells hot. I don't know if that is normal? what is a safe temperature?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24"
Congrats on your nice rig. That is normal like chas_m said. You are just "braking it in" like in a new car when the engine gets hot for the first time you drive it. Enjoy that beauty.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
That's 90C and very close to the top temperature of the CPU. But if the heatsink is picking up that much temp, the CPU or whatever component is connected to the heatsink is even more higher and that's definitely not good..

There is no "breaking in" period with computers like cars. These are not mechanical things that need to have groves and so on..so please don't confuse the issue..

How are you checking the system temps? Grab the free iStat nano, a Dashboard Widget by iSlayer and install it. Now open up the Dashboard and enable the iStat Nano widget if it isn't visible and take a peek at the temps.

On my 27" i7 iMac, I get the following numbers:

HD: 36C
CPU: 32C
Ambient: 14C (crazy cold basement)
GPU Diode: 46C
GPU Heatsink: 43C
Mem Controller: 35C
Optical Drive: 30C
Power Supply 2: 45C

Under crazy load, I've had the CPU go to about 60-65C..but that's about it..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Is this at idle or is it when you are doing something like watching flash movies? If you are doing nothing and the CPU is low utilized - then there is something wrong. Also, at what RPMS are the fans? At 90 deg c I'd expect the fans to be around 4000-5000 RPM.
You can use smc fan control to see/set the fan speeds.
Download smcFanControl for Mac - Control Intel Mac fans to make them run cooler. MacUpdate.com

See this article
Intel Core i7 Temperatures | Puget Systems Blog
Around 100 deg c the CPU will start throttling to help it cool - and as stated before you are around 90 deg c.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.