• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Lion looks stupid

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I'm sure many people have hear about the new OSX they're working on 10.7 Lion. I was reading up on it on Apple's site, and that looks incredibly stupid. Now i don't have an iPad or iPhone and I actually use my computer for real working and not goofing or showing off, but I feel that's the way Apple is treating this new version of OSX. Does anyone agree with me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I have not seen what the whole OS has to offer so I will remain opinion less for the time being but their track record for improvement on each OS has been great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Based on what I saw in the keynote address, it looks fine. I'm indifferent, but if it will boost performance any or save me a few more GB space, then I'm all for it. There are features I won't need or use, but so what? I'll upgrade if the price is reasonable.

P.S. you might want to consider changing the title of your thread to something less confrontational like "Your impression of Lion" or "Lion: Yes or No?"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
*In best defensive bully voice* YOU LOOK STUPID ! !! ;)

Well, I dunno. When I was looking at some of the new "features", I did kind of get the impression that a lot of it was just redundant and unnecessary. Why in the world would I need to click on an icon in order to have all my apps pop up on my desktop, thus needing me to click on another one to activate it? As it stands, I do that with my dock folders and dock icons. I really don't understand how this is supposed to do anything other than add unnecessary GUI changes.

My overall feeling is that I hope the new OS is going to represent more than just an overhaul to the GUI with redundant shortcuts to items that are already easy to activate.

OTOH: If they manage to integrate these shortcuts with trackpad/mouse gestures which are unique to them (ie; don't interfere with other gestures), then I won't mind so much. I love using my trackpad for OS gestures, and this goes right down to my Logitech mouse when I need or want to use it. If it means not having to move my mouse pointer down to the dock and click, because I can just swipe and tap, then that's kind of cool I guess.

I also wouldn't mind it much so long as it doesn't bloat the code and make things run more slowly. Also, full screen apps seems fine to me, nothing harmful in that.

Most of what we're seeing simply looks like GUI enhancements. A very turbo charged exposé and spaces works fine for me. And I really wouldn't worry much about OS X being dumbed down. These 'enhancements" are just that, and are not taking away any of the inherent power which OS X is built upon.

I would however (as said before) would rather see different improvements (better graphics compatibility that would make OS X a real contender in the gaming market anyone?) to the OS but as it stands, I can't imagine being unhappy with anything they do, just so long as they don't take any features away, rather than adding.

Doug

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think that it's too early to tell. I hate it when computer companies announce things so far in advance.

Yeah...it's nice to know that something is coming...but I think that they should hold back on the details...since the details are very likely to change...or who even knows...maybe Apple won't even be able to deliver on them.

Hopefully as release time gets closer...we'll get more details to get us more excited!:)

You know practically all of use are going to end up upgrading to 10.7 anyway...whether we want to...or have to for compatibility reasons for future hardware or software.;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Not sure what to think yet. If it's more like iOS and runs a bunch of iOS-like stuff in the background (using CPU and RAM), then I likely will not like it. If it runs faster and leaner then I will likely enjoy it. Who knows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I just came back from the apple store after spending my free time hanging chilling there. We were talking about Lion and how it will change the way OS's behave with other devices, including user convenience between multiple devices...which had me think about OSX and iOS integration, but I was told that Lion won't "mix" with iOS, but will gain a large amount of new iOS inspired integration services, as well as an easier user experience. It will pave the way to much better tablets, which will also gain new features found on OSX.

With that said, I think there are people that don't want OSX to have any features from iOS, but I will disagree...greatly! iOS is believed to be the most user friendly OS for handheld devices. I'm not 100% sure of all the features that will be "merging" between iOS and OSX, but from what I've seen and heard, I think new and previous users will find things more enjoyable.

I enjoy the smooth, liquidy user interface of iOS, and enjoy using OSX.6, combing them both, from how I'm imagining it to play out in the future, and from what I have seen and read, will be nice imho.

I wish I knew more about real specifics though.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
While you are entitled to your opinion it would be nice to give some explanations or examples of why you think it is "stupid." Instead of just making blanket statements. Doesn't really do anything to prove your point.

I watched the Keynote presentation for it awhile back. Although it was just demoing the certain new features.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I mainly just don't like it because it makes the computer much like how and iPad or iPhone is in terms of the program layout and the whole app store idea. I'm the kind of person who likes to do things manually, not have the computer do everything for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 2 GHz Core2Duo Intel, 10.6.6, 2GB RAM
I mainly just don't like it because it makes the computer much like how and iPad or iPhone is in terms of the program layout and the whole app store idea. I'm the kind of person who likes to do things manually, not have the computer do everything for me.

And that's the beauty of OS X. You can do as much or as little, manually, as you like. There is always more than one way to do nearly everything in OS X.

Reaction score
Considering the estimated release of Lion, which last I knew was this summer, I'd say I'll call your bluff. Let's see how really "stupid" it is when it comes out. Besides, you don't know what other features Apple *may have* added that they haven't announced yet.

I'm really hoping that Apple does a keynote sometime around the release so that new Mac users (and the existing Mac user base) can look forward to it. Normally they do this...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The thing is, in a preview/demo like Apple gave, you'd expect Apple to point out the most powerful and useful features.

And the demo had nothing particularly powerful or useful.

Apple is focusing on the iOS products that generate 70% of its revenue. Lion is a way of leveraging the iOS design and engineering work to improve the Mac.

See the sig, it tells the truth:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I am very sure that they have not yet disclosed any of the more powerful features.
Also, Apple, like any business , is focussing on what generates money.
People love the iPad not just because of the device, but because of the way it operates.
Mapping that experience onto Mac's is what Lion will bring us.

My 2 cents and totally based on ignorance :)

Cheers ... McBie

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
My complaint (actually complaint is too strong a word) is the name. Tiger was okay, Leopard was better, Snow Leopard was kinda "meh". But, to me, Lion is totally lame.
If we have to name versions (and I don't see real value in doing so) they should be good ones that convey something symbolic about the product.
For me, Lion symbolizes basking in the sun waiting for the females to finish doing all the actual work before shouldering in to take the rewards . . . which, on reflection, might be a good aspiration for your's truly, but not something I want my operating system to do.

;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Why would they disclose the best parts of a *new* OS more than a year before release date?? That's like begging other companies to copy it! You can't seriously think that all of the keynote highlights features of Lion will be the only ones out, the rubber band snapping feature in browsers.

The only thing that worries me is that apple store people believe it will come at the price of $100(I like $30 more!). Which also suggests that it might stick around for a while longer than OS10.6

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why would they disclose the best parts of a *new* OS more than a year before release date?? That's like begging other companies to copy it!
Umm, marketing 101: put your best foot forward.

Apple has done it with every previous release of OS X since Jaguar. There have never been any big surprise features in an OS X release.

Steve Jobs loves a show, and one year is not enough time for a competitor to push out a copycat version of a feature.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lol. That has nothing to do with limiting your new features of an OS!
Okay, prove me wrong. When has Apple ever released an OS X feature that wasn't in the big, flashy Steve Jobs demo?

Heck, Microsoft loves to demo its new features so much that half the time, they demo features that don't actually make it in!

Reaction score
Okay, prove me wrong. When has Apple ever released an OS X feature that wasn't in the big, flashy Steve Jobs demo?

Heck, Microsoft loves to demo its new features so much that half the time, they demo features that don't actually make it in!

Apple tries to delay these announcement as much as possible. The trade-off is a marketing show vs. keeping ahead in innovation. Apple chooses the later, as it deems it to be strategically more important.

BUT, Apple *must* announce all the features well before release in order to seed the Beta versions to developers. The level of integration and freedom given to Mac apps, Apple can't just push out new features without risking breaking some apps, or in turn having apps break the OS. iOS doesn't have this issue as apps are sandboxed.

Oh, and by the way, this thread is such a troll alert to me...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I'm sure many people have hear about the new OSX they're working on 10.7 Lion. I was reading up on it on Apple's site, and that looks incredibly stupid. Now i don't have an iPad or iPhone and I actually use my computer for real working and not goofing or showing off, but I feel that's the way Apple is treating this new version of OSX. Does anyone agree with me?

You have to understand a lto of what Apple go on about does not concern the average user. Apple is concerned to the point of a compulsive disorder to make every little point/part in their release products as close to perfect as possible. And in a way we come to expect it too.

You buy another product and it works kinda ok and your happy. But with your Apple products you cry to the moon if there is the smallest scratch or a single stuck pixel or something else tiny. So maybe you think all the features of Lion are stupid, I'm sure this time next year you'll look at your self and wonder how you ever lived without them.

And yes this topic does smell of troll.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.