The mac has come today just a few questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13.3", 4GB ram, 320GB harddrive, i5 intel, Mac OS Lion
Hi,
The mac has arrived today woo!

However I am having difficulty with the following things.

1) i want to permanently delete windows live messneger of my mac os leapard but when I click the trash can to empty it displays messneger is in use. However I have selected command and q.

2) My scroll wheel on my mouse has stopped working for no random reason, have tried rebooting but no luck.

3) How do I full size safara and other programmes to fit page rather than drag bottom corner.

Please help.
Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
1) Try a reboot
2) Try the same mouse on a different computer. If it doesn't work, get a new mouse.
3) You can't

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
1) Check your login items in System Preferences>Account>Login Items... make sure it's not listed... then a reboot should surely work... or .. open Activity Monitor.. Select Windows Messanger from the list of running apps... then force quit it.. then trash it, and empty trash.

2) It just has a little dust in with the scroll wheel most likely... hold it upside down, and blow in it while spinning the wheel (No spit.. and do this alone.. as you'll look a little foolish) ;)

3) When you say "full size".. the green maximize button will enlarge the page to fit the contents of the page... if you mean Full SCREEN (really odd, Windows-esque request, but to each his(or her) own)... You would need to do the drag corner thing.. or.. there are quite a few 3rd party apps that will do it... like Arrange

Enjoy... and Welcome!

Reaction score
Well, full screen at the push of a button is not really that odd ;O) On most OSX applications this isn't standard. Usually the "plus" button on the Mac just enlarges the window to the largest "needed" for viewing everything. For some this is nice, others find the clutter of other windows behind rather annoying. To be honest, I always found this a bit odd for Apple, since they make such a wonderful effort to avoit clutter on their hardware, yet on screen it can look a mess when a couple of apps are running.

Anyway, as mentioned, there are quite a few third party apps that can do a good job at this. I personally use Hyperdock, which provides the windows snapping that Win7 has. So, you can just drag the app window to the top of the screen and it instantly becomes full screen. Drag away from the top and it resumes the normal size. Hyperdock also (as it's name suggest's) provides a great feature of floating previews similar again to what Win7 provides, but in this case combined with the nicer dock that Apple provides. When I installed Hyperdock it was free, but there maybe a small charge now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
Please don't take this the wrong way, but it always kind of amazes me how so many people will switch from Windows (usually because they are fed up with it) to Mac and then come here asking questions about how to make their new Mac work like Windows or complain that their Mac doesn't work like Windows. It's not Windows. There is actually a method to Apple's madness, if you will, and it's almost always better (I have found) to actually try to figure out and read about the way Macs are designed to run. Give it some time and you will come to see that most of how a Mac works actually does make good (imo better) sense. Sure there are programs out there to force your Mac to look and run with more "familiarity" but why? If you want Windows, why didn't you buy a Windows machine? Some people seem to have the misconception that Macs are just a better running, more efficient PC clone. They aren't. They are a totally different animal and designed to interface with you, more intuitively and more efficiently. So, instead of loading and running a bunch of programs to try to beat your Mac into submission, so to speak, why not take some time to get more familiar with your Mac and get yourself used to the design, instead of the other way around? Read this essay, this part of Apple's website and carry on...

BTW, Apple will actually be catering to the full-screen app window crowd with their next version OS X (Lion).

Reaction score
Please don't take this the wrong way, but not everything Apple does is perfect. Sure, Apple innovated in many ways, and to be honest Microsoft copies many of them to improve their O.S. But sometimes it works the other way around.

And not everything is more intuitive or more efficient. The increasing windows discussion is perfect for this.

Obviously Apple wanted people to be able to increase the size of the window, but why only offer one inefficient way to do it? One little corner which you can drag, compared to multiple methods on a Win7 machine. Any way you look at it, bar one, it is more efficient on Win7. You can enlarge at the corner just like on a Mac but you can also enlarge on the sides, you can drag the window to the top and it becomes full screen. Drag to the sides and it becomes half screen (perfect for pairing two windows together) These are other options and they really work well.

Now, I also love the Apple + button which makes it the size to fit what you need. Win7 lacks that. In fact, with the Win7 snap feature, the windows + is pretty pointless now as the snap feature replicates it. So, with Hyperdock, I get the best of what Apple came up with and the best of Microsof ;O)

The Plug in doesn't make my machine more Windows. It just makes it better. I have more options, and options which are very useful.

I could say the same for your way of thinking. Why stick with something that is not as efficient? Maybe if you gave that plug in a try, you would find it is actually an improvement. What if Apple decided to add that in to the next release? Will it suddenly be useful because Apple did it?

I gave OSX time, and yes I love it. But in that time I found that some things were not as good as what the latest offerings on Win7 is. Not all. It's not me saying Win7 is better. It's not me saying OSX is not as good. It's me saying that some things Mircosoft came up with in their latest OS is actually pretty good.

And whilst I'm at it, there is no way in the world I can think one hand on the keyboard and one on the mouse is more efficient than a right click. Then again, at least Apple came around to this one ;O)

I love my Mac and it's OS, but I that doesn't mean I'm blind to advantages the competition comes out with. Maybe you should open up to some of these as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
Maybe you should open up to some of these as well.
Why? I'm perfectly happy with the way my Mac works. If I see or hear of a plug-in that I think may enhance my experience with Mac, I'd give it a try; and I have, but for the most part I'm pretty happy with the way Macs work out of the box.

BTW, I do "Ctrl+Click" with my iMac, because my left hand usually stays on the keyboard when I go to use my mouse. It's just as fast as right-clicking (ctrl is already pushed by the time my right hand reaches the mouse) and I haven't seen any reason to change to right-clicking. On my MacBook I double-tap, of course.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
If something won't let you empty the trash, a reboot should do the trick, as mentioned.

I love the Mighty Mouse but the scroll ball does get gunked up from time to time. One good way of cleaning it and getting it to work again is to roll it upside down on a thick stack of printer paper vigorously. Go in all directions, in circles, etc, and after awhile of doing that hard enough, you'll see streaks of gunk smeared on the top sheet of paper. Then try using it again and see what happens.

I know there is a reason behind the way the green Zoom button works, but I'm one of those who doesn't like anything else on the screen but the window I'm working in. I'm clearly not the only one because there's a great little tool called RightZoom that turns the Zoom button into a true Maximize buttons in most applications.

But don't forget that in some applications, all you need to do is resize the window from the corner once. Hitting the Zoom button will toggle between a smaller window and one that's the size you dragged it to.

Reaction score
I think it's interesting to mention that Apple has seen the light on people's need to "maximize" apps: We're getting full-screen apps with Leopard. I am already a big fan of full-screen in iPhoto 11, but switching apps is a pain withouth Mission Control-style gestures.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 13.3" MacBook 4,1 Intel Core2 Duo, 4Gigs Ram (2x2G), 2.4GHz, OS X 10.7.2
Hi,
The mac has arrived today woo!

However I am having difficulty with the following things.

1) i want to permanently delete windows live messneger of my mac os leapard but when I click the trash can to empty it displays messneger is in use. However I have selected command and q.

Was it installed using a disk image (.dmg file)? If so, you'll want to right click and "Eject" it first. Then you should be able to empty the trash.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.