Finally did it. Posting from my new MBP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone4, MBP
My first post as a Mac owner. I'm loving it already. I turned it on and it immediately set up my wifi connection to my home network and set up my itunes account. How sweet is that!?!?! Setting up a Windows machine has never been this easy.

I did run into a problem transferring files. I realized the files on my back up drive weren't correct. Instead of replacing folders on the back up HDD when I ran a backup, it had simply added another copy. I have triplicate copies of all my files. Rather than go through the hassle of deleting all the extra copies, I deleted all my music, photos, videos, and documents from the external drive and am now copying over the latest version of these from my old PC to the external drive. I'll then move them over to my new MBP. (Can't move them from the Windows machine directly to the new Mac because I don't have the correct cable. :Grimmace: .)

Thanks for all the help and answering my questions before I bought this machine. I know I'll have many more. Starting with these. :D

I want to move my Firefox favorites to Safari. How can I do that?

I see the folders in Finder for Music, Videos, and Documents. That's where I move those files from my old PC. There is also one labeled "Library." What is that one for?

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
If both your computers (Win and Mac) are connected to the same network and turned on at the same time, you can go into Finder and actually "see" the Windows computer and simply drag and drop the files over.

The "Library" folder is not something you want to go messing around with. Many of your apps' preferences/settings and important data is located in there. Delete the wrong thing and an app (or many apps) won't work. It's important and necessary.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone4, MBP
Leave the Library folder alone. Got it! And thanks for telling me.

I opened a Finder window and it doesn't show the other computer. Either I'm looking in the wrong place, or something's not set right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You sometimes have to tell it to find the other computer.
After you have Finder selected (top menu bar will say "Finder" in the top left), go to "Go" at the top and click on it. Select "Connect to Server", and see if your other computer doesn't show up in that text field. If it does click on Connect, if it doesn't, click on Browse to find it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone4, MBP
We have 2 other Windows machines on the network and neither of them show up. Oh well, old fashioned way for now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We have 2 other Windows machines on the network and neither of them show up. Oh well, old fashioned way for now.

Weird.
Only other thing I could think of is if the Windows computers themselves have some sort of privacy setting or your network settings has one. You know, something that would prevent them from being visible to other computers on your network. You could also burn to cd or dvd and transfer that way.
Lots of ways to do the same thing. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP 16gb ram, 2.3 i7, 500 gb hd, 750 gb hd
The only way my iMac can see the Windows machines on my network is if I command-K in Finder and use the smb://Windows-machine-name to connect. They are never in Sidebar like I keep reading they should be. It's a minor annoyance.

C

chas_m

I want to move my Firefox favorites to Safari. How can I do that?

First off, congratulations.

To answer your question:
1. Open Firefox on your PC, then open the "bookmark manager" by clicking on "Bookmarks", then, "Organize Bookmarks"....there you will find under the "file" menu..."Export".

2. Click on "Export" and a window pops up that will allow you to export your bookmark file to your Desktop. Copy that file onto your Mac's desktop.

3. Open Safari, hit "File", hit "Import Bookmarks" and choose the file fro your desktop. Done.

4. You can now delete the copy of the bookmarks file on your desktop.

I see the folders in Finder for Music, Videos, and Documents. That's where I move those files from my old PC.

Yes, those folders are actually in your Home folder. Don't move them, but do use them to store your music, movies and documents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
Weird.
Only other thing I could think of is if the Windows computers themselves have some sort of privacy setting or your network settings has one. You know, something that would prevent them from being visible to other computers on your network. You could also burn to cd or dvd and transfer that way.
Lots of ways to do the same thing. :D

If a windows machine has firewall turned on they may not be able to see them as well. I can see all my windows PC's on my network in the side bar.

and definitely don't let Apple talk you into a memory upgrade do it yourself. Heck ship it to OWC and let them do it for alot less, if you do not feel comfortable doing it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.