transfering info from pc

Reaction score
I will be getting my i mac 27'' i7 next week, i have downloaded all my information from the pc onto a western digital external hard drive. How hard is it going to be to install the addresses and saved web sites, pics, docs, etc etc. onto the new mac. I have never owned a mac so it will be a challange just to fire it up. So I am sure I will be lurking and asking a lot of dumb questions. Thanks

JIM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 3.2GHz | 4GB RAM | OS X
transferring info ...

Hi Jim

I'm brand new to the Forum so you may want to take this with a pinch of salt.

I'm also brand new to Macs - I took mine out of the box only 2 days ago.

Like yourself I was concerned about how to move my data across. I've got a few terabytes of photographs and I worry about them more than I worry about my kids.

I have to say that after almost 20 years of 'living in fear' of Windows machines, this iMac is like a breath of fresh air.

OK, it's a bit 'quirky' at first and I'm on a really steep learning curve but, so far, it's done everything I've asked it to do - and done it at blistering speed too.

As for moving files across from the old PC(s) via an external hard drive, that was no problem at all. The Mac just sucks it all up without complaint and does with it whatever you want it to do.

The only problem I had was when I tried to write files back into another external drive. This proved to be a major headache for an hour or so 'till I realised that the external drives needed to be re-formatted to enable write- access from the Mac.

I wont say it's been an entirely 'painless' experience but, to be fair it's gone very well so far. Every peripheral I've attached to it has worked like a charm.

So, there you go - just 48 hours in and I'm 'converted'

It's a shame Apple don't include a bit more in the way of User Manuals but, that said, pretty well most of what you need to do is really straightforward.

Trust me - you'll have no problems.

Enjoy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,

Totally agree with osxx, and as a new user since 2010 have found the Mac a joy to use.:D
Regarding the external drive format it only take a few minuets ( my 500 GB took about 4-5 mins) to format into a read and write peripheral for your new Mac.
Also remember that with a Mac think about what you are trying to do and the easiest way of doing it, operations are simple compared to a PC, and the drag and drop works like a charm.

I would recommend you read the backup sticky http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/196606-backups-backups-backups.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.