Gen2 iPOD Firewire don't fit new iMAC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
This is goofy. The Firewire connector from our Gen2 (circa 2003) iPOD is larger than the current Firewire plug on the back of my new iMAC
b774ff53.jpg

What can I do?

Tom

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Was going to do a little graphic since I don't have either of those pieces of equipment, but found someone who's already done some of it - link.

Am only guessing you need the 6 to 9 pin adapter.
20110123-fam5fg85xx616f11c6qj5d2a7b.jpg

can't really tell what your cable has in the pic.

Use google images and you'll pretty quick be able to verify whether you have 4, 6 or 9 pin and which adapter you need.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Use a USB connector instead. You can buy one for $25 from Target and it also includes an AC power adapter|charger and small cable for the Shuffle. It's made by Belkin. I've bought two so far and they work fine.

OP
TomServo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
Thanks guys, I'll look into buying a new cable. So far "switching" has been harder than I thought. Still can't figure out how to get all my photo's off my external HD and into iPhoto.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
Thanks guys, I'll look into buying a new cable. So far "switching" has been harder than I thought. Still can't figure out how to get all my photo's off my external HD and into iPhoto.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Tom

Plug in your external hard drive and navigate to where you saved your pictures. They could be in a folder called "Pictures". Drag all of them in to iPhoto and your set!

OP
TomServo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Plug in your external hard drive and navigate to where you saved your pictures. They could be in a folder called "Pictures". Drag all of them in to iPhoto and your set!

All my photo's are in a Folder labeled My Pictures which is just under the iPhoto folder. Do I drag the whole folder?

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
What you do is either open iPhoto, open the pictures folder and highlight (select all) of the photos and drag them into the iPhoto window, or, if you have iPhoto as a dock icon, just drag them onto that.

EDIT:
Can someone please describe what I have a little more clearly?
I'm not sure that I have done the best job of it! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Your 2nd Gen iPod is only going to charge up via Firewire, you will not be able to transfer from iTunes to it.
I discovered this when buying my iMac. My old 2nd Gen iPod was only able to transfer via USB, and man it took forever. 20GB took 24 hours or so, ridiculous.
Apple are to blame, they disabled the Firewire support for older iPods,
Save yourself the money on a cable. I ended up upgrading my iPod in the end, rather than be saddled with terminally slow transfers.

OP
TomServo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your 2nd Gen iPod is only going to charge up via Firewire, you will not be able to transfer from iTunes to it.
I discovered this when buying my iMac. My old 2nd Gen iPod was only able to transfer via USB, and man it took forever. 20GB took 24 hours or so, ridiculous.
Apple are to blame, they disabled the Firewire support for older iPods,
Save yourself the money on a cable. I ended up upgrading my iPod in the end, rather than be saddled with terminally slow transfers.

I could do that but I hate throwing away a perfectly good and functioning iPOD especially since it's my wife's who travels frequently.

I hate to say this but I may just keep my perfectly working 5 year old Dell PC and use that for my MS Games/Office apps I need (Access/Project) and to keep her iPOD up to date.

I heard Apple gets you on the "MUST UPGRADE" treadmill but I didn't think it was due to physically changing something I thought was a standard like HDMI or USB jack sizes.

Thanks for the reality check. Looks like instead of having a neat and tidy home office it's going to look like some geeks lab.

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Oh not suggesting you upgrade, just making you aware that your transfers are going to be slooooooooooooooow! It's not so bad after the initial sync, when you have all of your library to transfer, and I put up with it for about a year, but ultimately it was time to upgrade anyway.
As a footnote I wrote in to a tech magazine (T3) about my annoyance with Apple for doing this, git letter of the month, and won a portable dvd player with built in DVB tuner!

OP
TomServo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What you do is either open iPhoto, open the pictures folder and highlight (select all) of the photos and drag them into the iPhoto window, or, if you have iPhoto as a dock icon, just drag them onto that.

EDIT:
Can someone please describe what I have a little more clearly?
I'm not sure that I have done the best job of it! :)

Thanks for the tip - it worked like a charm. Slowing I'm getting all my files off my external HD. I assume the same procedure will work for all my MS Office files too?

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Mac is all about drag and drop.... I love that about it :)

I like to open new finder windows to do that.
Command N to open a new finder window.

Say you have a finder window open, and you have documents on your external HD selected, click command N and this will open a new finder window.
On that new window, select your home folder (Tom), then documents, and drag all the documents from your documents folder from your external drive, hold it over your documents folder in the home folder for a second until that folder highlights, and then drop it into that folder.

I recommend this:
http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's a little something from you tube.
YouTube - Drag and Drop on your Mac

It's late here in OZ, but hopefully more folks here chime in with a little more on the drag and drop or more :)

OP
TomServo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac is all about drag and drop.... I love that about it :)

I like to open new finder windows to do that.
Command N to open a new finder window.

Say you have a finder window open, and you have documents on your external HD selected, click command N and this will open a new finder window.
On that new window, select your home folder (Tom), then documents, and drag all the documents from your documents folder from your external drive, hold it over your documents folder in the home folder for a second until that folder highlights, and then drop it into that folder.

I recommend this:
Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics

That was the little secret I needed. Can't thank you enough.

Tom

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.