• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

building PC question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
My roommate is building a PC and I thought by chance some ppl had built their own PC have any advice. His processor is not being recognized in the bios (motherboard is RS480M MS7145(v2.x) M-ATX Mainboard by company MSI) and the processor is a 2800+ Sempron AMD processor, socket 754. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, apart from getting a Mac. ;) Thanks.

M

macguy.nielsen

Is the motherboard a 754 Slot compatible? I know it's rather obvious but sometimes it is easy to overlook the chip - to - board compatability.

OP
deus_ex_machina
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
macguy.nielsen said:
Is the motherboard a 754 Slot compatible? I know it's rather obvious but sometimes it is easy to overlook the chip - to - board compatability.

He said he checked it and the motherboard is compatible :)

M

macguy.nielsen

Well I'm outa ideas :( Sorry man, I really hope you guys are able to figure it all out!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
Try testing the CPU with other motherboard and the motherboard with other CPU, maybe is a factory defect. Also (and maybe the easier solution) use pressurised air to clean the socket, maybe a little something is causing all the problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
the one time i tried to put a processor on a MB was in a 4 year old dell and it required quite a bit of force to get it on...make sure it is seated correctly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
did he use a static wrist wrap? He might have shorted out the board if he wasn't using a static wrap. He may have also shorted out the CPU if not the board. I have built over 10 computers in the last year, and have had one board die on me because of static, but that was my fault for leaving it on my workbench overnight during bad weather outside. Anyways though, have him take it back to wherever he got it, and have them check it there to see if it is bad.

OP
deus_ex_machina
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
scooter said:
if it's this board (msi-RS480M-IL) it will support a sempron 2800+
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=RS480M-IL&class=mb

make sure the chip is seated correctly in the clamps and that the fan is also hooked up correctly.

now when you say 'not recognized', is it not recognizing the processor, the speed or something else?

He said on the BIOS screen that it wasn't recognizing the processor but all the other components were. I asked him about static first off when he had the problem and he said that he was safe. Sending the processor back maybe the best option for him. Thanks for all the support/advice. Any more thoughts are appreciated and I'll keep this thread posted. :)

E

Ex_PC_Puke

So heres the story

If BIOS is even running - then the system is 99% functional ---- CPU - memory - IO - etc. ----- thats the good news

Executing BIOS is basic test of the MB and components - also set registers to optimum or compatibility setttings.

But sounds like the CPU is newer than the BIOS code by quite a bit - hence the BIOS cannot tell what CPU you have - so it cannot complete the MB setup to match the CPU's capabilities.

Basically you need to up date the BIOS image - but not sure you can do that with the CPU your friend has - might need an older CPU (Intel or AMD) thats compatible with the MB

OP
deus_ex_machina
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ex_PC_Puke said:
So heres the story

If BIOS is even running - then the system is 99% functional ---- CPU - memory - IO - etc. ----- thats the good news

Executing BIOS is basic test of the MB and components - also set registers to optimum or compatibility setttings.

But sounds like the CPU is newer than the BIOS code by quite a bit - hence the BIOS cannot tell what CPU you have - so it cannot complete the MB setup to match the CPU's capabilities.

Basically you need to up date the BIOS image - but not sure you can do that with the CPU your friend has - might need an older CPU (Intel or AMD) thats compatible with the MB

Hmmmm. I thought about the BIOS update. An earlier posted link said the MB and CPU are compatible. I'll check with him tonight and see. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.