Suggestion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
I was recently robbed again on the Buy Sell trade part of the Forums here, There is probably an 80% chance at this point that you will get robbed by someone..... So i have a suggestion..

Why can you make it so the only people who can post a sale have been here a minimum of one year or maybe even a certain amount of posts?

Its getting crazy how many people get robbed on here, and its a shame becuase its a great forum.. I know that i dont have to post there or buy but i feel bad for the ones that do get scammed.... i think its an issue that the moderators need to discuss further..

Just my 2 Cents

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sorry to hear that things didn't work out properly:).

I of course do not know the exact details of the transaction...but assuming everything is as you say...have you posted on the Good Seller/Bad Seller "Sticky thread" who the offending member is...so other folks don't run into the same trouble?

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It's a drag, which is why both of those have already been implemented, maybe 2 years ago now.

Mac-Forums.com - Announcements in Forum : Buy/Sell/Trade

Even that does not guarantee anything.

And does not prevent a newb from posting/responding to someone else's thread.

edit: Moved to appropriate forum also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Its getting crazy how many people get robbed on here, and its a shame becuase its a great forum.. I know that i dont have to post there or buy but i feel bad for the ones that do get scammed.... i think its an issue that the moderators need to discuss further..

Just my 2 Cents

While I feel bad about your situation, let's not overstate the problem. There are not "many people getting robbed on here". Most transactions are handled fine and go through without an issue as long as common sense rules are followed.

There is a reason that forum is use at your own risk, because there is always risk involved. It's up to you to decide with whom and how you conduct your business to feel safe about the transaction.

I would be interested to know more about how you got robbed so maybe others can avoid the problem.

Edit: I don't see any recent posts by you in the B/S/T forum relating to any kind of transaction, so I'm curious as to how this went down?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
We have taken great pains to make it clear that the Buy/Sell/Trade forum is not a marketplace like eBay or Craigslist. I think we've also made it very clear that it is "use at your own risk", but apparently the message isn't quite sinking in for some people. So, just to reiterate one more time, before you use it (as either a buyer or a seller), please keep the following in mind...

The Buy/Sell/Trade forum exists as a venue for our ESTABLISHED community members (i.e. friends) to trade goods. Although we have protection mechanisms to keep newbies and unknowns from trading there, sometimes it happens that they reply to an existing post or use PM to slip under the radar. ALWAYS question the reputation of a B/S/T participant before money or goods changes hands - that means checking their rep level, noting how long they've been part of the community, look at their posts (are they mostly junk, or are they actually contributing to the conversation in a meaningful way?). Search out the B/S/T feedback thread for their usernames. In short, it's your job to do your best to weed out the scammer, whether they are a buyer or seller.

It is just amazing to me how often someone who just joined the forum, replies to a FS thread making an offer, or saying "PM sent", and then it appears that the seller just proceeds with the transaction. I hate to say it, but don't let your desire to sell the product outweigh your own common sense!

At the end of the day, this place is NOT a marketplace. It's a discussion forum. We simply can not police the transactions, nor do we have the tools to authenticate participants. And beyond that, we make it very clear that it's "use at your risk". Personally, I wish we'd do away with it altogether, because I'm so sick hearing stories like this and then having the implication that we are somehow negligent in our duties.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.