Looking for advice on what Mac is best for me

Reaction score
I'm a university student and I am currently using a two year old, expensive, Toshiba that I have had tons of problems with. I've been thinking about switching to a Mac but I am unsure what to get. I probably don't need a lot of space so a MacBook or Air may be good but I was wondering if I may as well spend the extra money and get a MacBook pro. I've also been wondering about refurbished computers. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Tough choice now honestly... Either the 13" MB or the 13" MBP would both be excellent choices.

I'd go with either the $999 or the $1,199 models..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

It depends on what your studies are at school and what you primarily do with your computer. A MacBook or MacBook Pro are generally recommended for school work. Good graphics, speed, capacity, durability, and so forth. A MacBook Air of course is very nice since it's small and light weight. But an Air has disadvantages that you need to think about: No optical drive and can not be upgraded once purchased.

Apple refurbished machines are generally as good as those purchased new and they carry Apple's full warranty. Good refurbished units go fast though, so if you see something you like you have to jump on it fairly quick.

OP
P
Reaction score
Besides storage are there any big differences in having a pro over just a Macbook? Is it worth the extra cost?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Besides storage are there any big differences in having a pro over just a Macbook? Is it worth the extra cost?

If you're comparing the 13" 2.4ghz MacBook vs. the 13" 2.4ghz MacBook Pro...there REALLY aren't any MAJOR differences you couldn't live without.

The:

- Macbook housing is white plastic vs. aluminum for the MacBook Pro
- Macbook has 2 gig ram vs. 4 gig for the MacBook Pro
- the MacBook DOES NOT have a backlit keyboard (MacBook Pro does have it)

So you could go with the $999 MacBook...but for just $200 more you really do get some nice additions.:)

HTH,

- Nick

C

chas_m

If you do a lot of 3D gaming there's an appreciable difference between MBP's and MB's ... but for "routine" use I would say there's not a lot of difference there. My main advice would be to get the best one you can afford and don't forget to budget for a few extra software purchases. The Mac (any model) comes with 99% of what most people need to get started, but there's always that "one other thing" you enjoy doing that didn't happen to come on the machine.

OP
P
Reaction score
Does anyone find 13 inch screen too small? I currently have a 17 inch screen but my brother has a 13 inch MacBook and it doesn't seem to small.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does anyone find 13 inch screen too small? I currently have a 17 inch screen but my brother has a 13 inch MacBook and it doesn't seem to small.

If someone is used to using a 13" screen...then I don't think that it's too small. But...I'm pretty positive if you're used to a 17" screen...you're going to find a 13" kind of small (at least initially).

I have a 17" MacBook Pro...and my wife has a 13" MacBook. I think that the 13" is a perfectly usable display for all computing tasks...and when I use it I sometimes wish it had a bigger display...but I get used to it pretty quickly.

I think that if I used my 17" MBP for something like Excel spreadsheets...where I like having as many cells visible as possible...I might prefer the 17" or even a 15" display.

Also remember. You can use the 13" while you are mobile with the computer...but once you are at home...you can always plug into a bigger external display.

HTH,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

By the way...if this is how you feel about it...then why even ask the question? If you feel that it's ok...then great!:)

When you ask this sort of question on an internet forum...you're always going to get folks who will think a 13" is too small...and then there will be those folks that will think that it's just fine.

It's a personal opinion sort of thing!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 2 GHz Core2Duo Intel, 10.6.6, 2GB RAM
By the way...if this is how you feel about it...then why even ask the question? If you feel that it's ok...then great!:)

When you ask this sort of question on an internet forum...you're always going to get folks who will think a 13" is too small...and then there will be those folks that will think that it's just fine.

It's a personal opinion sort of thing!;)

- Nick

Not to forget, that 17" MBP is HUGE and HEAVY! You don't want to be lugging that thing around to classes all day. :D

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
the 13" fits in a backpack easier, so great if you do lots of travelling. if your studying something intensive, i.e photo editing, video production or music production, go for the macbook pro. if its essays, web browsing, general day to day stuff, save yourself some money and go for the white macbook. they are both really good computers anyway, so you wont really lose out. :)

OP
P
Reaction score
Not to forget, that 17" MBP is HUGE and HEAVY! You don't want to be lugging that thing around to classes all day. :D

Good point. My current computer is to big and annoying to bring to school, I figured the MacBook would be easier but you're right.

MacBook's only come in 13" anyways right?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook's only come in 13" anyways right?

Not only do MacBook's only come in the 13" size...you only have ONE model to choose from!;)

Not much decision making when it comes to buying a MacBook!;) You can upgrade the ram or hard drive...but if you do that...then you might as well get the 13" MacBook Pro.

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Well I still don't really have my mind made up, it will come down to how much money I have. Hopefully I can get it soon my computer has me drove nuts, I do hate to get rid of it though but that's it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature.
I'd recommend going to your "local" Apple Store or Best Buy and checking them out. As a lot of people have said, it's more of a personal preference than anything else. Personally I'd go for the MBP because for the extra $200 you get a lot of extra goodies :). For most work though, the MacBook would probably be sufficient, but if you plan on doing any serious gaming, the MBP would be the way to go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.