Mac G5 quad or dual

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.25 mirror front
Beside the obvious. Im looking at a g5 dual 2ghz. Priced around
$300. But for $500 I can get a quad core 2.5 ghz.
I do some heavy photoshop but thats about it
I'm currently using a g4 mmd 1.25 dual
What do you think save a few $$. I'm prob not ready to go to an intel processor. Thanks
Dennis

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.25 mirror front
I have photoshop already and would need to upgrade it also.
I guess I have a g4 laptop n want to keep
Everything running the same. And the price is great on the quad

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have photoshop already and would need to upgrade it also.

That's a GREAT answer...and one thing many users upgrading sometimes forget to consider (software is sometimes more expensive than the hardware)!:)

As far as the two computers you mentioned. It's sort of a tough choice. For me...I don't like the G5 "quad-core" because it has a water-cooling system...which can be a headache if it gets clogged...or starts to leak.

I know that you said you're a heavy duty Photoshop user...so the quad core would be better...and is the fastest non-Intel Macintosh you can get. I guess I like the simplicity of the dual processor 2.0 & the lower price.

Touch choice,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
A word of warning.

The Quad Core machines are liquid cooled which was not a very good idea and there have been a great many reports of leaks which will destroy the logic board, processors etc. If you want a G5 rather than an Intel machine, look for a 2.3GHz Dual Core as these are normal air cooled by fans.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
A word of warning.

The Quad Core machines are liquid cooled which was not a very good idea and there have been a great many reports of leaks which will destroy the logic board, processors etc. If you want a G5 rather than an Intel machine, look for a 2.3GHz Dual Core as these are normal air cooled by fans.

Water cooled? Okay...not sure where Apple was going with that idea...

To the OP, I would go for the dual rather than the quad, It should still get the job done, and saves a good chunk of cash. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Water cooled? Okay...not sure where Apple was going with that idea...

Yeah...the Powermac G5 "Quad-Core" 2.5ghz & the dual-core 2.7ghz Powermac G5 were/are the only Macs ever to have a water-cooling system. Not quite as uncommon in the Windows desktop world.

Two of the reasons why Apple got away from the G5 processors was they needed so much power (electricity)...and they produced so much heat. This is probably why the Powermac G5 "Quad-core needed a water cooling system...and I believe it's why Apple never made a G5 Powerbook.

- Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.25 mirror front
Thanks guys all good answers. I'm probably
Interested in the dual over the quad
The quad just sounds sexy. I have gotten by with the g4
For many years so the g5 will be a good boost
And the ram is pretty cheap so I could load it up
Thanks for the input and open to more suggestions

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the input and open to more suggestions

Just in case it means anything. You may not need to spend $300 on a Powermac G5 dual 2.0ghz. I've seen them sell for less than $250 from time to time...and if you're buying off Craig's List...then no shipping!:)

As far as other suggestions. Since you have software that you need to run on PPC computers like the Powermac G5...the Powermac G5's are pretty much the most "bag for your buck".

Some other things to keep in mind:

- Keep Harry's suggestion above some thought...about getting a 2.3ghz "dual core" Powermac G5. There was also a "dual-processor" 2.3ghz version as well (the dual-core is faster).
- Know that the Powermac G5 2.0 Ghz came in two versions so to speak...a dual-processor & a dual-core version...with the dual-core being a bit faster.
- If you end up getting a dual-processor 2.0ghz Powermac G5...there were I think 4 versions. Some of them only had a 4 gig of ram max...and others had an 8 gig of ram maximum
- The 2.3ghz dual-processor has an 8 gig of ram max
- All the dual-core models (2.0 & 2.3ghz) have a 16 gig ram max.

I know that all of this may seem confusing. Basically find a specific computer you're interested in...and then we can make sure it has the specs you want/need.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.25 mirror front
thanks agin pigoo3, I should check on the ram before I jump, Im not in a big hurry. Thanks again for all the help

C

chas_m

How old is your Photoshop? I have CS3 and it runs great on my older (2007) Intel MacBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah...the Powermac G5 "Quad-Core" 2.5ghz & the dual-core 2.7ghz Powermac G5 were/are the only Macs ever to have a water-cooling system. Not quite as uncommon in the Windows desktop world.

Two of the reasons why Apple got away from the G5 processors was they needed so much power (electricity)...and they produced so much heat. This is probably why the Powermac G5 "Quad-core needed a water cooling system...and I believe it's why Apple never made a G5 Powerbook.

- Nick

I'd feel kinda uncomfortable having water running through my computer. I understand it may have needed the water cooling system so that it didn't overheat, but it seems like it gives the computer the means to literally destroy itself if something goes wrong with it. (I don't suppose it had a leak sensor to warn you, "Hey, I'm leaking here!!!" ?) because you probably wouldn't notice it until it's too late.

Also if G5 processors threw that much heat, you'd probably be able to cook an egg on your PowerBook G5. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It was not water per se but a type of glycol cooling agent which was much more corrosive than water and made a terrible mess o CPU's and logic boards, and there were never any PowerBook G5's they stayed at G4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was not water per se but a type of glycol cooling agent which was much more corrosive than water and made a terrible mess o CPU's and logic boards, and there were never any PowerBook G5's they stayed at G4.

I know Apple never made a G5 PowerBook, i was saying IF they did. :)

But imagine if you have somebody say: "Hey, your computer is leaking" that's not something you hear every day. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.